10.5 Hiro Trout Question

Bud95

Took my 10.5 Hiro trout from the recent preorder out for a test swim today and couldn’t get it to swim right at all. It noses down, doesn’t really swim and DOES NOT glide at all. Reel bumps, slow constant retrieve, rod tugs I could not get it to do what I want it to. Tried tying to a split ring and snap and did not seem to make any difference, however did not try tying direct as I’m usually pretty averse to doing that with glides. Rod I was using was an LDC XXH and 20lb fc. Tried a lexa 400 6:1 and a Tatula  300 7:1 which didn’t seem to make a difference either. Anyways was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with this bait? Is it the gear I’m using or did I somehow get a dud?  I’ve owned other Hiros and they swam great so I’m just a little disappointed. Thanks in advance for any info.

BA016738-A2CA-44FC-9AE5-AC9756198EAD.thumb.jpeg.1104b6b5f74396d2ac4f09e0de57bf92.jpeg

DB104448-443C-45D0-9291-8ED9208E42BD.thumb.jpeg.d26288c4b88c67cf67bdbbc2e767c2cf.jpeg

12 minutes ago, StriperAddict said:

Hows the tail? If its bent it will wreck the action 100%

Was just thinking about this. Tail was slightly bent when I received it and didn’t think much of it at the time but that could be the problem here. 
87818239-3F0B-42A4-AB5B-C94C62BC55ED.thumb.jpeg.4350a2d6a5f76da183227c31ab1985d9.jpeg

Edited by Bud95

1 minute ago, StriperAddict said:

That dosnt look that bad but its possible for sure. Was the bait working only to one side?

Didn’t seem to. It really didn’t want to go one side or the other. Constant slow retrieve it kind of awkwardly swims and with 1/4 or 1/2 turn reel bumps it noses down and washes out. I’m sure the tail being slightly bent isn’t helping but it almost seems like there’s something funky with the joint but I might be wrong. Going to hit Brock up either way but just wanted to see if my rod/reel/line combination had anything to do with why it isn’t working right. Maybe overpowering the bait or something idk….

From all the hiro trout Ive owned over the years none were great with rod or reel pops except the "OG" 10". Those were awesome for me. Steady retrieve always got the best glides 

I dont think your gear is the issue. Brock is generally good with communication Im sure he will get you up and running

10 hours ago, StriperAddict said:

From all the hiro trout Ive owned over the years none were great with rod or reel pops except the "OG" 10". Those were awesome for me. Steady retrieve always got the best glides 

I dont think your gear is the issue. Brock is generally good with communication Im sure he will get you up and running

Thanks for the input. Have gotten used to fishing glides with reel bumps and this is actually the first larger size Hiro that I’ve owned so that’s good to know.