Hollow spectra connection.

Willduhhbeast

I was wondering if anyone has been using hollow spectra to fluro/mono to throw their swimbaits. I understand it takes a little bit more preparation pre trip, but it looks like it fits my needs for a "seamless", 100% strength connection.

For those of you wondering, this video is the version I would consider.

Guy by the name of Jerry Brown, lives real close to me, big in the saltwater world & highly notable line manufacturer. He took my buddy under his wing, taught him all about splicing lines, different leaders, hollow braids etc....

I was skeptic that the leaders/splices were any better than regular connection knots, or that they would hold on small lines in the first place so we tested them with a scale. We never broke a hollow braid- leader splice, but connection knot didn't break either but I was impressed nonetheless. He then took his spliced leaders to Costa Rica and caught sailfish on them!

I'm impressed & would confidently use them with big baits personally. But as you stated, lots more work, tools and prep.

One advantage that just dawned on me is not having to re-tie my leader connection as often. I HATE tying the connection because I need it perfect or I keep tying. I also cannot stand the knot going through the micro guides on my ldc. I'm thinking a little pre trip work and I should be fine on that connection for an entire trip. Of course I would not neglect re tying the bait. See, I'm a huge fan of braid, I understand many are not. My major drawback was my insecurity with my knots in so many places, lol.

I think I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks for the input colby.

Guy by the name of Jerry Brown, lives real close to me, big in the saltwater world & highly notable line manufacturer. He took my buddy under his wing, taught him all about splicing lines, different leaders, hollow braids etc....

I was skeptic that the leaders/splices were any better than regular connection knots, or that they would hold on small lines in the first place so we tested them with a scale. We never broke a hollow braid- leader splice, but connection knot didn't break either but I was impressed nonetheless. He then took his spliced leaders to Costa Rica and caught sailfish on them!

I'm impressed & would confidently use them with big baits personally. But as you stated, lots more work, tools and prep.

Jerry Brown lives closeby? That dude RUNS the land based shark fishing line game down here. Recently picked up 1200yrds of his 130lb Hollow Core for a 9/0. Great stuff!

I like the idea of a 100% connection, If you're scared to try it for you're expensive baits throw something cheaper with it first or at least test it at home. I wonder what the necessary mono to hollow ratio is?

I have seen some issues casting hollow spectra though. But this does make a sweet, smooth connection. Made plenty of wind-on leaders for saltwater guys using hollow braid. And Colby is right, Jerry Brown is the king of hollow spectra.

Jerry Brown lives closeby? That dude RUNS the land based shark fishing line game down here. Recently picked up 1200yrds of his 130lb Hollow Core for a 9/0. Great stuff!

Yes sir, he lives about 5 miles away, my buddy brought over some of his products, looked awesome! Something like a 16 strand weave on his braid that I checked out!

Yes sir, he lives about 5 miles away, my buddy brought over some of his products, looked awesome! Something like a 16 strand weave on his braid that I checked out!

That's cool... love his big stuff. The best 100-200lb braid on the market!

I have been using the 60lb Power Pro Hallow ace with a 25lb mono leader for almost a year on my Okuma Guide Select 7'11" Extra Heavy with a Abu Garcia C3 Reel. This is a really strong smooth casting line that has not given me any troubles. Seeing that this line lays flat on the reel it does like to dig in to its self but with proper spool control it wont give you any problems. Just make sure you adjust your spool tension and you brakes and I rarely get anymore problems with it. Also buy extra needles because I always seem to loose them in my workshop. It is expensive but I used a decent amount of mono backing to fill up the spool before I put on the Hallow Core. I have never even come close to getting down to the backing throwing Hudds. Also there is no knots to get stuck on the guides or in the reel this allows you to give yourself a lot of leader so you don't have to re splice as often. I have about 4ft of mono in the hallow core and about a 10ft leader. Make sure to put a good amount of glue at the connection between the 2 lines this allows to give it a stronger bond when you do the wraps with the smaller braid to lock down the hallow core to the leader.