Creek Boats

Swimbaitsrus

Looking for ideas of boats or builds. I’ve fished a narrow river full of pools and rapids. I’d like to get away from a kayak and fish with a little more room. I’ve used a bass prowler which was nice with the space. Just looking for something a little more durable. 

59 minutes ago, Swimbaitsrus said:

Looking for ideas of boats or builds. I’ve fished a narrow river full of pools and rapids. I’d like to get away from a kayak and fish with a little more room. I’ve used a bass prowler which was nice with the space. Just looking for something a little more durable. 

Little more info on this river. It’s fairly shallow. No gas motors are allowed. Only trolling motors can be used. So with that in mind taking 1-2 batteries on each trip. 

If you go with a small jon be sure to get the four pronged bases that allow a bass boat seat to be used on it. I call them spiders. They make my cartopper (10 foot jon) super stable. I use two even if I fishing solo. I use the back seat to hold an extender handle from trolling motor to the front seat. The weight of handle naturally sits downward due to weight when not in use. 

Screenshot_20240204-162645.png

Edited by bigpoppabass

49 minutes ago, 5-20 said:

Are you floating downstream only or do you want to be able to come back upstream to where you launched? 

Most trips will be floats down stream. But there are stretches that I have to go up stream a mile or two before I start fishing. 

Seems like a 14' all welded jon boat with a small tiller steer jet motor would be ideal if you're sure you want to stick to that little river and run upriver. The nice thing about getting a small tiller steer jet motor is that you can just take it off the stern and stick on a tiller prop motor if you eventually want to start fishing other waters where a jet wouldn't be efficient or work well at all. 

I’d take a look at the Tracker Grizzly John boat. You can find them on FB Marketplace depending on your area if you don’t mind buying a used one or you can buy them new from a Cabelas/Bass Pro. In my opinion it’s essentially the “top of the line” John boat. Basically looks like a mini aluminum bass boat

Check out tbnation.com the milha looks cool not cheap tho. They have all kinds of kits and ish for building up little boats. Cool to check out even if just for ideas. I am also thinking about getting out of my native and into something bigger. 

I had a Coleman Scanoe (Scanoe = square stern canoe) as a bass/duck hunting boat for a while. They're super cheap and you can regularly find them under $250 on craigslist. Very stable even in current, tough-as-nails composite hull and pretty good storage for long rods. It's pretty similar to a basstracker, but a much safer choice for current. This year I got a SUP for christmas so I'll be selling my old scanoe since the SUP is much easier to transport over a long hike.