New Citizen Durability?

chefchris

Anyone put in any time with the new 6” or 7” head case citizens?

is the body of the bait better? My issue with the newer ones was never the face of the bait, it was only the body ripping due to the beast hook. 

I have a healthy supply of the 6 and 7” pre head case ones that I’ll burn thru this year. 

Thanks for any info and updates you guys might have. 

Personally I feel like the pre head case 7” with a toxic face saver screw lock is just so money. I’ve had 4 packs of the headcase 7s and almost every face has pulled away from the headcase so it’s not just a one pack thing. The pre headcase misfit 7” citizens are a confidence bait of mine. That’s just me though. I prefer the old ones long story short 

I’ve only thrown the new ones.  So I’m curious too. 

I’m currently just throwing a MH for a while so might snag up some 6s.  Anything y’all don’t Ike about the 6s vs the 7s?

yeah the hook kinda opens up a hole on the top of the new ones but I don’t have experience with the old ones. Honestly it didn’t bother me cuz maybe after a week or two I would just put some mend it if it got too big and good as new. As far as the harness after 3 months of fishing one single citizen and 1 decent bite the harness pin seemed to have stripped the threads inside the harness. Maybe I could glue it back but I’ll just retire it since it got me my first softbait fish. Lasted long enough for me so I’m satisfied with the new ones in terms of durability. 

4 minutes ago, bgc said:

yeah the hook kinda opens up a hole on the top of the new ones but I don’t have experience with the old ones. Honestly it didn’t bother me cuz maybe after a week or two I would just put some mend it if it got too big and good as new. As far as the harness after 3 months of fishing one single citizen and 1 decent bite the harness pin seemed to have stripped the threads inside the harness. Maybe I could glue it back but I’ll just retire it since it got me my first softbait fish. Lasted long enough for me so I’m satisfied with the new ones in terms of durability. 

6 or 7?

12 hours ago, chefchris said:

Anyone put in any time with the new 6” or 7” head case citizens?

is the body of the bait better? My issue with the newer ones was never the face of the bait, it was only the body ripping due to the beast hook. 

I have a healthy supply of the 6 and 7” pre head case ones that I’ll burn thru this year. 

Thanks for any info and updates you guys might have. 

I fish saltwater bass in socal and i have caught several fish in the 10-15lb range with both the new and older citizen 6. I believe both models are equally durable. I have noticed a small amount of tear on both models after several cast, but that can be a result of whipping the lure out, which gilbert argues against. The tearing occurs at the top of the lower body where the hook penetrates, but it is minimal at worst. I have never had the citizen body rip , although I have had that happen on the bs after several fish, but weld it fixes that problem. Also, I have fished the same bs for a year so I can't complain when it tears, the thing is a fish magnet.

I would change out the cps spring for a longer one on the older citizen. I think I use 33mm spring for my hooks and they make the old citizens last alot longer than the cps.

Good luck

I had a pack of the new head case harness 6” with me in Mexico and they lasted maybe 4 fish each bait. My biggest problem was the face splitting and the plastic head case would rip out. And as we all know once that plastic rips through the bait is kinda toast. You can do your best to repair it with mend it but it’ll never be the same. As far as the hook penetrating through the bait that area did tear a little too but it was reparable with mend it. I think the new citizen although they’re an excellent bait they need some form of scent applied to them as lube so they slide easier in the fishes mouth when setting the hook. For reference all of the fish were 6+ pounds so that also could be why they ripped so fastIMG_1494.thumb.jpeg.2cbf1e18f8e44dc242a66bca563e98c1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, AnthonyCatlow said:

I had a pack of the new head case harness 6” with me in Mexico and they lasted maybe 4 fish each bait. My biggest problem was the face splitting and the plastic head case would rip out. And as we all know once that plastic rips through the bait is kinda toast. You can do your best to repair it with mend it but it’ll never be the same. As far as the hook penetrating through the bait that area did tear a little too but it was reparable with mend it. I think the new citizen although they’re an excellent bait they need some form of scent applied to them as lube so they slide easier in the fishes mouth when setting the hook. For reference all of the fish were 6+ pounds so that also could be why they ripped so fastIMG_1494.thumb.jpeg.2cbf1e18f8e44dc242a66bca563e98c1.jpeg

And in the og lynx!

On 2/5/2024 at 3:16 PM, GrizzleyShad said:

Be nice if he still offered non headcase baits

Agreed. It sounded like the whole problem with the OGs 7s was the 10/0-3/4 oz weighted beast hook. Just throw the 1/2oz, and no problem.

I've never tried the new headcase citizens but has someone tried cutting a slit in the hsrness and super gluing it to the plastic? This may help it last longer and not rip out. It def helps hold the harness and plastic together for the magnums and hudds.

On 2/7/2024 at 8:55 AM, stkbass said:

I've never tried the new headcase citizens but has someone tried cutting a slit in the hsrness and super gluing it to the plastic? This may help it last longer and not rip out. It def helps hold the harness and plastic together for the magnums and hudds.

This is a good idea, I’m curious about this also

So I put about 3-4 hours total on a new citizen 7 this weekend .  Fished the same one the entire time.  I did blow the back out the first day.  I heated up a knife and melted it back together.  No issues since and fished most of the evening yesterday without the back blowing out again. Head case hardness is still good as new.