After work chew and observation

SoFloW

Morning fellas. Nothing special here, but I wanted to say I love paying attention to what people say, and then test it out for myself, good or bad feedback. My dear uncle bing bong is a believer that the owner ST-41s are a dogsh!t hook as the cutting point technology does just that. I got this 4.4 cranking down the Rafa 3 piece gill yesterday evening. First time using these hooks(size 1) and typically when I hook up on my decoy quads (size 2,1,1/0) it’s either just a hook in some lips/ skin or a small tear. Today was my first time actually noticing about an inch slice in this fishes cheek. If you zoom in you can see where the hook entered,sliced and stopped. Maybe I’ll keep them for crawlers cause they are sticky and strong but I’ve already went back to my trusty quads for the Rafa. Thanks for your time, small rant about some field testing I wanted to see for myself. 

IMG_1514.jpeg

That could be…or it could be cause all these googans out here give every 1 pounder but the bill dance hooksets on a flipping stick with straight braid lol. Might be getting ahead of myself but judging by the well manicured grass I’m guessing that fairly pressured public pond. No judgements here, speaking from personal experience, thiose pond bass get caught & released so much it’s not uncommon to see those shredded up lips, makes me feel bad every time 

Thanks guys. And yeah, I’ve been going there a lot for the last year or so. Nights and early morning. Never seen anyone else probably just cause those are the non human hours. The other day I went out at sundown which I’ve never been and saw a group of kids conventional fishing and one of them hooked up on the other side quite a ways but I saw it all. They had this fish out of the water I swear for 10 mins all huddled around. Probably a snakehead choked a bait though idk. So yes it’s obviously a pressure spot but my thing is what are the odds the my trebles flew into that same hole, maybe, but I’m gonna stick with I think the st-41s did it. Amd I feel like you just threw shots at me for my braid lmao. I’m just running this spool down and I’ve been throwing small rats and Sherpas on 15# izorline. Gonna spool this with some 20 and throw some bigger baits and start the testing on that. Trying to leave braid in the past but I just love it so much. Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Really feel like I’m gonna do damage this year. 

12 minutes ago, SoFloW said:

Thanks guys. And yeah, I’ve been going there a lot for the last year or so. Nights and early morning. Never seen anyone else probably just cause those are the non human hours. The other day I went out at sundown which I’ve never been and saw a group of kids conventional fishing and one of them hooked up on the other side quite a ways but I saw it all. They had this fish out of the water I swear for 10 mins all huddled around. Probably a snakehead choked a bait though idk. So yes it’s obviously a pressure spot but my thing is what are the odds the my trebles flew into that same hole, maybe, but I’m gonna stick with I think the st-41s did it. Amd I feel like you just threw shots at me for my braid lmao. I’m just running this spool down and I’ve been throwing small rats and Sherpas on 15# izorline. Gonna spool this with some 20 and throw some bigger baits and start the testing on that. Trying to leave braid in the past but I just love it so much. Thanks for everyone’s feedback. Really feel like I’m gonna do damage this year. 

lol my comment was geared towards the conventional fishermen. Braid is absolutely fantastic you just need to fish it knowing that there’s no stretch so apply force as needed, a lot of people hammering fish with a lot of unnecessary force when a moderate hookset under tension will do.

And quite frankly ya I’m sure it’s quite possible you could have hit it too hard since swimbait rods are also incredibly overpowered compared to standard conventional rods. Particularly on treble hook baits very little hookset is probably even  necessary, a reel down and moderate sweep of the rod should do the trick once they’re snagged on the trebles and putting tension on the line. Weedless soft baits maybe a little different story since you’re pulling the bait out of their mouth and forcing that hook to move plastic and penetrate does require quite a bit more force. Not trying to dunk on anyone it’s all about learning how to be better at fishing!

No I’m playing man, I know. Braids done me good for years, only lost one big one trying to flip it and it was a snake, giant though, freaking coconut head, went for a flip and pulled the bait right out. We’ll see, I’ll be playing with copoly for the next few months.