Leviathan Alpha Rods

They don’t get any hotter than a standard black nylon reel seat.  110* heat, I put a laser thermometer on the alps reel seat and a Fuji, and the Fuji was hotter. Neither seat felt unbearable when picked up though.  In the cold, metal will absorb the heat from your hands. Unless you’re fishing extreme cold, you’re probably not going to find a noticeable difference.  

Functionally, Nylon seats are pretty strong; there’s a lot of different ergo shapes to choose from, different trigger styles etc, so you can find one that’s comfortable; and they’re lighter.  I have had nylon reel seats break down over time, split in the hood, stripped threads that won’t tighten, but it’s usually when the rod is at the end of its useful life…..like decades old.  Style wise…..nylon seats have a ton of options; hydro dipping and different paint finishes.  You can do some cool thread work under some of the skeleton seats. 

Aluminum seats, they’re stronger and heavier built, will last forever, feel solid in your hand and the bling factor, they are cool and the colors can really pop like a gemstone, especially on a custom rod. Ergonomically, they fit my hand perfect but that varies by user. Alps is starting to offer newer shapes too, so we’re probably going to start seeing more options there.  

Theoretically, you’re gonna be dropping some coin and your rod is a tool you’re gonna be physically swinging around a couple hundred, possibly thousand(s) of times a day.  You can usually work with your rod builder to discuss goals, techniques and specific characteristics that you’re looking for……then choose the hardware.  I’d go with nylon if weight was an ultra high priority, or if the ergonomics of a particular seat fit my hand better.  

If it’s your first custom build or you want something that’s general purpose, the alps al seats are the standard and again….they got the playboy factor to em. If you have a specific goal, feel or look in mind…..nylon may be the best bet.  

In the pics attached.  The rods with alot of thread work wouldn’t have been done any justice with a nylon seat.  The rods with the carbon grips have a light feel, and I went with nylon handles…..they got the f1 racer effect to em.  Last one with a little threadwork under the seat.  

……..infinite possibilities.  

IMG_9536.jpeg

IMG_9537.jpeg

IMG_9538.jpeg

IMG_9534.jpeg