Starting Off

Brine

A few months ago, I had my first truly amazing swimbait day. I was with a swimbait veteran, who gets credit for all of the success I had that day as all I did was do what he told me to do. I'm hooked and can see myself casting one all day (once I'm physically able to do so :roll: ).

That said, where would you consider to be the first place to put my efforts in learning how to be successful with the swimbait? I still feel like a novice with eliminating unproductive water, and determining the right places/situations to throw it. Unfortunately, I don't get much on the water time, and I wan't to make sure I'm making the most of what I can learn while on land.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Only going into my second year I'm fairly new too and still learning. Biggest thing is the most obvious.....get out there and give yourself a chance to catch a fish. The next important thing is do you want to go after numbers or size. If I want size I will throw the bigger baits (7" and up for me) or if I want numbers ill throw a bullshad or freestyle. Last piece I can say is don't give up. It seems like there's days they slay em and others whre you won't even get a follower, have patience and read as much as possible, sites like this have helped me a ton. Good luck!

One piece of advice that was given to me is to spend a good amount of time with a bait and really learn what it can and can't do. That requires spending a good amount of time with it and then applying it to the waters you fish.

+1, Ben passed this down to me and it's an amazing piece of advice.

Once you learn a bait really well, you can use it in many different situations, and cover a whole range of types of water. Definitely don't go crazy and buy a bunch of baits, that was my mistake in the beginning. Begin to gain confidence in a few quality baits, and purchase a few more quality baits. Patience is important, persistence is a must. Don't bring another set-up and spend time only with swimbaits, and you'll learn pretty quick how to catch fish.

Geoff

I really appreciate all the advice guys.

The bit about sticking to one bait.... I'm feeling good about that. We caught a bunch of fish (30 or so) that day on that particular bait. In fact, it outfished everything else we threw at them that day, and we through alot. Caught some on topwater, some of soft plastic swimbaits, but slayed em with this one. I've since bought 3 of them, and that will be the swimbait I learn to fish with for quite some time.

Thanks again. I can tell this site will be of great value during my learning.

Brine

That day was not a fluke. Rember that. The next time you go out with that bait you will most likley get different results. You have seen part of the potential of that bait. Dont be discuraged if you dont wack 'em next few times out. Keep at it learn as much on this site and others. More than how to fish it, I would search for what tackle(mostly what rod and what line) other people are using for your specific bait. Nothing beats time on the water.

A few months ago, I had my first truly amazing swimbait day. I was with a swimbait veteran, who gets credit for all of the success I had that day as all I did was do what he told me to do. I'm hooked and can see myself casting one all day (once I'm physically able to do so :roll: ).

That said, where would you consider to be the first place to put my efforts in learning how to be successful with the swimbait? I still feel like a novice with eliminating unproductive water, and determining the right places/situations to throw it. Unfortunately, I don't get much on the water time, and I wan't to make sure I'm making the most of what I can learn while on land.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I see the HPH there in that fish's mouth, fishing with Randall? That is a good way to get hooked on fishing big baits for big fish.

Welcome to a skinnier wallet. :lol:

nothin beats just puttin in time at your local waters, just keep goin and keep throwin

One piece of advice that was given to me is to spend a good amount of time with a bait and really learn what it can and can't do. That requires spending a good amount of time with it and then applying it to the waters you fish.

That sums it up right there.

• 1 year later...

So it's been 2 years, and I thought I'd follow up on my swimbait adventures since then. I still don't get to fish that often. :x Maybe 3 times a month. Most of this year's fishing was in a club and I didn't have the nerve (or the limit) to break out the swimbait as much as I would have liked. Any chance I've gotten to fun fish though, I do my best to sling it as long as I can stand it.

One piece of advice that I latched onto from the board was to choose a lure, and stick with it, and for the most part.... that's what I've done. Because it was my first swimbait fish, the HPH is that lure for me. I've since played with the osprey and hudd family, but I'm most confident with the HPH. 99% of the time, I'm running it at, or just below, the surface, so I've yet to really probe deep waters like I hope to in 2013.

I've yet to learn any 1 lake as much as I should either. Mostly because of time, but I also have quite a few small lakes to choose from and find myself keeping them in rotation. Anyway, although I don't post much here, I visit often and appreciate the words of wisdom. I find myself at the point where I really do want to get rid of 90% of my tackle and focus more on this, and if I decide to bow out of the tourneys next year, I probably will.

Because I don't post much.... I thought I'd make it a long one and make sure that the advice given from the board was recognized as appreciated. Here are some of the catches since.

Thanks again,

Brine

P4070451.jpg

88E6E03E-0E14-41D2-B08E-07B3D79545F8-677-000000DD4E1F31FA.jpg

CD1F408B-7074-4D02-B9D0-F26495AC41A4-460-000000978D119082.jpg

70c9f575.jpg

P4300459-1.jpg

8E8A3257-CE54-421A-A5D5-F87D68713C17-460-0000009444C6813D.jpg

103027E4-2C57-429C-8433-88093BC7636F-460-000000946B89148B.jpg

CBFA37E0-FAEF-4EE2-8D06-70E0B91F9721-677-000000DD32F14902.jpg

P4300458-1.jpg

59994_10150101186054745_219764599744_7192623_1547078_n.jpg