Help a Newbie Get Setup

The Baron

I’ve decided to stick my toe in the swimbait pond this season and am looking for rod/reel advice.  I’m in SE Ontario, starting soon on early season pike then showing our bass something different this summer/fall.  So far I’ve picked up an S-Waver 168, 13 Fishing Glidesdale 185, Savage Gear 6 3/4” 4D Perch, a 6” Cullshad and an 8” Rapala Peto.  I’ll be grabbing a Spro Rat 40 and/or 50 as soon as I can find one.  So, I’m looking to throw baits in the 1 1/4 - 3oz -ish range.   

I already had a St. Croix Bass X 7’11” Heavy/Moderate-Fast rod that’s rated 1/2-2oz., paired with Chronarch 201E 6.5:1.   This isn’t labelled as a swimbait rod, but I’m thinking it will work fine for the lighter baits I’ve listed?  

I also want to add a bit heavier rod.  Brands I have best access to are Diawa, Shimano, St. Croix and Halo.  I can get others, but they’re less common.   A local shop has a Diawa Tatula 7’3” Swimbait rod, rated for 1-4oz.  Would that be a good choice for throwing 1.5-2.5oz. hard baits around docks and other cover?   Thought I might pair it with a Tatula 300 reel and 20# Berkley Fluoroshield copoly.

I fish small-medium size lakes from a 16ft. aluminum bass boat.  Pike up to 10-12# are pretty common, and I could certainly catch bigger.  But up here a really big bass is 5-6#, and I’m just as likely to catch smallmouth that size, as I am a largemouth.

Thanks in advance for any input.

• 2 weeks later...

Update.  I ended up going with a Curado DC 201HG and Berkley Fluoroshield 20# for my heavier setup.   I’ll be checking local stores for a bit heavier rod, something 7’9”-8’ -ish range with a moderate/parabolic action rated for 1-4oz. or thereabouts.

I’ve done a lot of online research and unfortunately can’t source a lot of the rods that come recommended.   I’ll just have to keep my eyes open in my travels.  I did find that my St. Croix 7’11” felt a bit overloaded casting at 2.5oz bait (rod is rated 1/2-2oz).

I will add in a Daiwa Rebellion 7111HFB-SB. I don't hear a ton about it here but have had success with it over the last season. Its another 7'11" similar to the one you have but with a higher weight rating (3/8-4 oz). I would say it tops out around 3-3.25 oz rather than the 4 oz listed. The handle is 18" which is quite long compared to what I am used to but helps with some larger baits in this weight class. Handles TKs/arashi glides well enough for me. It seems to be a good treble bait rod. Haven't done much with soft swimbaits yet but may test those out too. Likely not the greatest fit though. 

On 3/11/2024 at 9:26 AM, The Baron said:

I ended up going with a Curado DC 201HG

My first couple months swimbaiting I fished the DC aswell, ended up pretty much destroying the reel. Not sure if this is common with the DCs having trouble handling bigger baits but definitely something to look out for.  

Check out the St. Croix BassX XH Swimbait Rod- I think it's 710 as well.  I've thrown everything from a 6 inch magdraft to Deps 175 on it- fantastic rod.  Medium parabolic but also has some stiffness for hooksets on soft baits.  Handles 2-5 oz, but can definitely huck under 2- I'd be cautious with anything over 4 on it though.  If you want, I'd be willing to sell it to you. PM me if you want it. I haven't fished it a ton. I just use my Dobyns 806 more and don't have a need for it. 

Swimbait stuff is alot like buying a laptop.   You need to get the highest performance that you can afford.

I was self taught on swimbaits starting in about 2003 or so.

Started with a flipping stick (would not cast at all), to big frog rod (too limber), to a Diawa Heartland (still have, but not enough backbone), eventually to Shimano Crucial Swimbait rods, and finally custom LDCs

Same exercises with reels and lines

I don't take much stock from ratings written on rods.   The best thing is to test drive other guys setups, that match your casting style