How bad did I mess up this new lexa 400

JiggyTimmy

I’m new to doing maintenance on baitcasters and went to rip apart my lexa 400pwr-p because it was feeling a little rough and got stuck on the handle side plate. First I removed everything from the drive shaft and the 4 screws on the plate. It should have just popped right off at this point right? Well no. From the small sliver I can see inside when I try to pull the plate off, it looks like the main gear is moving as I pull or something is holding it back. So I went to the other side and removed that plate, the c clamp that holds the worm gear shaft just to see if that was it, and now I’m in a deeper hole. Can’t get the white piece connected to the gold gear back inside the black frame and still can’t get the "not allowed" side plate off the handle side so I can’t even get in there to fix it. But the worm gear is definitley too far toward the handle side and I can’t get it back out the other way to get the c clamp back on the end of it. IMG_5056.thumb.jpeg.b29ac15a58366c378c1b4bfe0bfeef4f.jpegAnyone else have trouble with a stuck side plate? I’m positive there are no more screws, and tension knob is backed off. Also drive shaft isn’t moving at all currently. Thanks guys

IMG_5058.jpeg

IMG_5055.jpeg

Try removing the main bearing. It might be binding up with the drive shaft, making it difficult to remove. 

The only time I’ve had problems removing a side plate were on reels I used in the salt where the spool shaft rusted to a bearing. Obviously not the case since you have the spool out. 

The level wind guide is slotted so it will only mesh one way with the plastic worm shaft gear  

Edited by Doomlurker

6 hours ago, Doomlurker said:

Try removing the main bearing. It might be binding up with the drive shaft, making it difficult to remove. 

The only time I’ve had problems removing a side plate were on reels I used in the salt where the spool shaft rusted to a bearing. Obviously not the case since you have the spool out. 

The level wind guide is slotted so it will only mesh one way with the plastic worm shaft gear  

Gotcha boss. Is that the small circular piece wrapped around the drive shaft that’s next kinda halfway under the side plate and half outside? Also how would I go about getting that guy out? 

On 3/11/2024 at 7:50 PM, JiggyTimmy said:

Gotcha boss. Is that the small circular piece wrapped around the drive shaft that’s next kinda halfway under the side plate and half outside? Also how would I go about getting that guy out? 

I believe what your talking about is the gear shaft collar/roller clutch. All of the gear shaft assembly once you get past the bearing that sits on top of the collar should not get in the way of you removing the plate. If it is getting stuck there some corrosionX or something like that sprayed and soaked may loosen it up.