7’8h Valkyrie world expedition rating

Ash showl

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2024 at 4:37 PM, Ash showl said:

For those who own the Rod, what’s the lightest weight it’ll comfortably throw? Looking for something that can throw conventional too

I’d look at the Triza dragoon if you’re serious about fishing Swimbaits and conventional on 1 setup

Among the lighter baits I own, I comfortably used this rod to cast a 5" CL8 Clacker, a 5" Triple Trout, and a Baby Bull Shad. I also caught a bunch of white bass on it using 4" Storm Wildeye Swim Shads before I sold it. Catching them with this setup was fun, but it was more of a shits and giggles type of thing. Honestly, for those lighter baits, I would have probably been better off with a conventional setup. The Dragoon, mentioned above, seems like a good option for what you're looking for, but I don't have firsthand experience with it.

19 hours ago, brootalititties said:

I’d look at the Triza dragoon if you’re serious about fishing Swimbaits and conventional on 1 setup

My concern with the dragoon is the power of the rod. Is it stiff like a broom stick in your experience?

On 4/5/2024 at 6:35 PM, Bassmann86 said:

I’ve tossed 3/8oz Warbaits underspin with a 4” paddletail and 1/2oz spinnerbaits with it. It’s a super versatile rod but I wouldn’t do any bottom contact stuff with it. It’s a moving bait rod. 

Nice the lightest I plan to throw on it is 3/8. If it can handle that than it should work.

3 minutes ago, Ash showl said:

My concern with the dragoon is the power of the rod. Is it stiff like a broom stick in your experience?

I don’t have first hand experience but in terms of power I don’t think your going to find a rod that magically transforms from a big bait rod to a Texas rig rod without sacrificing something on one end or the other. The top 1/3 of the blank is going to determine the action in terms of fast/moderate and that is going to make the biggest difference when changing fishing types

The Dragoon has two tips (top third) 1 fast and 1 moderate.  I throw the TK with the moderate tip and it is not a broomstick by any means. It is very parabolic with the moderate tip.  However, I have not thrown anything light with it or really utilized the fast tip. Predominantly it’s a travel rod for the TK. 

I just brought it out to throw a 3/8oz swim jog for stripper. It handled it well, but definitely needs something heavier. The sensitivity was pretty good for a partial glass rod but it got the job done