Treble vs Quad Hooks ?

T Dot

I'm locked down. I never give control. NEVER! They stay that way till I send them in for a tune up.

Same here. It's not the fight I'm looking for, it's the catch. ;) That being said , I believe there is a difference between horsing a fish and staying in control of one. But I fish big reels with big drags for a reason. I don't like losing ground. :D

well... i feel heavier hooks harm the action of any bait, and with four hook points your hooking force is distributed too much... the perfect half circle treble hooks seem to be working fine - just make sure there strong,sharp and not too weak!!

Second that!!!!! :geek:

I prefer a locked drag and grinding them in.

Been fishing the quads on wake baits for a bit. They've been good as far as hook ups but haven't noticed anything more over trebles.

If I had to choose one, it would be a treble hook.

Would you rather run past a cactus with fewer needles or more?

Fish often slash baits (especially glide baits that dont move in a straight line) and aren't always eating like they might a few weeks into prespawn. I wish the points weren't curved like the St41's, but there's still an extra point. One thing that needs to be accounted for is the shorter shank, this is where doubling the rings helps. I was turned onto this hook by Shaun Bailey and have since had two 9lb spots, a 7 1/2 lb smallie, and a number of lake records landed on my baits. Don't overlook these hooks.

Fish often slash baits (especially glide baits that dont move in a straight line) and aren't always eating like they might a few weeks into prespawn. I wish the points weren't curved like the St41's, but there's still an extra point. One thing that needs to be accounted for is the shorter shank, this is where doubling the rings helps. I was turned onto this hook by Shaun Bailey and have since had two 9lb spots, a 7 1/2 lb smallie, and a number of lake records landed on my baits. Don't overlook these hooks.

Interesting, I can see doubling the rings to help on that issue, thats why I like 2/0 Gamakatsu hooks on deps 250's, because of the longer shank on the hook. Got to give the quads a try.

Could you elaborate on why you use normal trebles for some baits and quads for others? Is it just because you have them dialed in on trebles, or is there something more to it?

I don't put quad hooks on all the baits I sell just the Gillrilla's right now. It's a short 5" bait but chunky to get off good casts in the delta winds. To combat the surface area I decided to use quads with the idea that if a fish touches anywhere on the bait it'll get a point. I was going to run them on the 8.5"ers but that would mean extra rings. Unfortunately many people get turned off the extra jewelry, even though in my humble opinion fish don't cue as many negatives on a bait that is constantly changing directions and moving along.

There are some great treble hooks out there, but sometimes it can help to evolve with the bite. Just like crank bait fishing sometimes ya gotta change up hooks/rings if they aren't eating well or are real hot.