Post Eclipse Hiro Hardtail and WCZ Chunks

maiti

Caught a couple pictureworthy northern strains today.

4 lbs 10 ozs on a Hiroshima hardtail. This bait is an xxxs, almost suspends. I was fishing a main lake point, fishing it with reel pops and long pauses since the water is still pretty cold. Kinda remarkable catch since I don't usually catch very many decent fish on hardbaits (except rats).

77792903_IMG_2958-Copy.thumb.JPEG.299a12caa87ed0fcbb2256f893511831.JPEG

197540348_IMG_2990-Copy.thumb.JPEG.54d7c7cae401595a5f21d4ccc150f9c9.JPEG

Then I caught a 6 lb 10 oz fish on a secondary point inside a cove on a 7" Citizen in about 7-8 FOW, fishing it pretty slow on/ near the bottom. Honestly surprised to find a shallow fish this early in the season, but sure glad I decided to spend half an hour in that cove.

1041294189_IMG_3002-Copy.thumb.JPEG.0c8a8106a0c67888ec8054746cf50752.JPEG

IMG_3021_copy.thumb.jpg.f77244c2f119113da5027a2c4320c585.jpg

Good stuff and great breakdown!

Regarding the Citizen fish, you mentioned being surprised to catch one in shallow water at this time of year. Do you have any theories on why the fish might have been in that particular location, rather than its typical location this time of year?

4 hours ago, chang127 said:

Good stuff and great breakdown!

Regarding the Citizen fish, you mentioned being surprised to catch one in shallow water at this time of year. Do you have any theories on why the fish might have been in that particular location, rather than its typical location this time of year?

No idea. Maybe she was sunning (there was very little sun, but it was in the 70s), maybe she has an early spawning calendar, maybe something else. One fish doesn't make a pattern.

Sidenote: I've learnt from Matt Allen when he was still "supermat" on the swimbait forum(s) and way before Tacticalbassin really took off. One of their recent videos (forget which one it was) was the reason I've been trying shallower stuff for the last few trips. Paid off yesterday.