Deps 250 Mods!

appstlhd

Found a few threads with info on this from a while back, but wanted to see if anybody had any more info! I'm looking to tune my new style 250- overall it swims great most of the time and is super slow sink, but, i've had 4 eats in the last week and haven't been able to hook up with a single one. The bait is completely stock.  I've got a couple of questions.

I know Butch uses the gamakatsu bronze round bends- is this generally the accepted hook for the 250? I'm also considering Owner st-46 and possibly quads. 

On a faster and sometimes slow-constant retrieve this bait will either nosedive or nose up, what tuning can I do to fix this? I don't really want to add more weight because the sink rate is almost perfect for me now. I'm also open to sending it to someone to tune- idk if Butch still tunes baits or not- don't wanna just ask him out of the blue, I know he's probably a busy dude.

I really love this bait and it's given me a lot of confidence in throwing 10 inch class baits, but I want it close to perfect as I can get it. 

Thanks y'all!

-appstlhd

2/0 gamakatsu bronze round bends give me a great hookup ratio, you can try putting a weight in the lip, here’s a little secret I figured out one crazy thing I tried once while on the lake was putting a mojo/carolina sliding weight on my line which helped keep the nose down, Looked like my deps was chasing a little minnow and got railed ;-) 

You can make the bait more level by adding weight to the front. You can do this with lead tape, lead weight, doubled split rings, heavier hooks etc. If you want to maintain the sink rate you can slide the skin off and shave away some of the weight from the belly. I had one that I unfortunately lost which I tuned for cold water to almost suspend on long pauses. 1g of lead tape in the bill slot, about 4g of lead removed from the belly. Ease of customization is one of the best things about 250s.