Softbaits/glide bait reel under 1.5 ounces

So i have two rods rated for 2ozs max, i plan on throwing 1.5 ozs and under with the rods, my main concern is would a 100 size baitcaster be able to hand glides and softies under 1.5 ounces? or should i get a 150 size reel?

Edited by Lunkerpunkerfanatic97

For baits that size, just use whatever has the line capacity. A 200 size reel will have zero issue. I've use BPS pro qualifiers for that and never had an issue. Ull b fine with almost anything

I personally throw a metanium 150xg with 15lb Fluoro with no issues for anything 2oz and under. It’s been great so far but if you wanted to throw some heavier line like 17lb or even 20 I’d consider the 2022 bantam, curado dc 200 or a diawa in a 200 size. I only have shimano but i know there’s a lot of great diawa reels out there as well.

I throw the TK (2oz) for saltwater bass on a 100 size reel with straigh 14-16lb floro regularly with no issue. I don't think you will have an issue throwing your specified rating on any reel that takes 130yds of 12lb floro. A 150 might give you more peace of mind, but I do not see a 200 as necessary for your needs.

Also, most shimano 100reels have a lower line capacity than most other reel companies, so take that in consideration when picking a reel.

1-3oz glide baits are my bread and butter. I am currently using a Daiwa Tatula 150 on a Dobyns Fury 795sb for 1-3oz baits. Line capacaity is never an issue with me though because I run braid to leader. 

A 100 size reel holds plenty of line. You absolutely don't need a 150-200 size reel if your staying with 1.5oz baits and under. 

One thing to keep in mind though...

Soft baits and glide baits require different gear ratios reels. Therefore, it will require 2 different setups. With soft baits, you are going to want a slower gear ratio reel with a rod that is fairly fast and stiff/powerful. With glide baits, you are going to want a faster gear ratio reel with a rod that is fairly slow/moderate and softer/less powerful. 

Hope these tips help. 

Edited by DEPS_250

3 hours ago, DEPS_250 said:

1-3oz glide baits are my bread and butter. I am currently using a Daiwa Tatula 150 on a Dobyns Fury 795sb for 1-3oz baits. Line capacaity is never an issue with me though because I run braid to leader. 

A 100 size reel holds plenty of line. You absolutely don't need a 150-200 size reel if your staying with 1.5oz baits and under. 

One thing to keep in mind though...

Soft baits and glide baits require different gear ratios reels. Therefore, it will require 2 different setups. With soft baits, you are going to want a slower gear ratio reel with a rod that is fairly fast and stiff/powerful. With glide baits, you are going to want a faster gear ratio reel with a rod that is fairly slow/moderate and softer/less powerful. 

Hope these tips help. 

Thanks! i have two different setups, for my glides ill get a 8:1:1 and for my softies ill get a 5:1:1 or a 6:4:1