Rookie Mistakes

TmBtc12

I tied on my brand new huddleston 10 inch trout. I was so happy it took so long to get. I tie it to my line. Snip the tag end when i casted my bait was gone. I cut the main line accidently and the hudd went into 20ft deep water. Not even one cast. And then that one time i hooked up with a big fish on mt brand new thumper tail. I forgot to check the line tie gap and my line went through the gap and i loat the fish.

Still hurts

back when i used to fish out of my 13ft jon boat i went to cast one time and hooked my friends loomis/zillion combo that he let me borrow for the day on the back cast. ended up casting the rod into 32ish feet of water. The crazy part was when i went back there 8 months later and saw the reel barely visible from being burried in the mud/sut 7-8 feet under water. threw the anchor, dove out of the boat, got the rod and reel, sent it to a reel shop and gave it back to my friend, hes still using it today and he gave me the rod that i bought for him after i casted it off the boat

Was at lower otay slow rolling a weedless 68 in the deep water. Out of no where a nice pig (im guessing around 8lbs) swallowed my hudd in about 5 feet of water. She started swimming away and i set the hook in the opposite direction instead of straight up and ripped it out of her mouth. Heart breaking.

I've also done the whole watch a fish eat without setting and yanking the bait out of their mouth......

Another one would be learning to pay a bit extra for the right rod, first day I got my first 250 I took it to a golf course pond to see how it swam, even though we have a pool at my house. My parents decided of all the days I can't test in the pool for some reason because monday is the day the golf course has maintenance and fishing is allowed... Was throwing it for a decent amount of time, new daiwa dx h 2-8 oz, should be fine right? swapped lures around trying a 10"tt too which worked fine. 20lb big game, perfect palomar attached to the snap that came with the TT. The daiwa is like a broomstick but doesn't load up for anything, being extra fast action. Had a good amount of sidearm, overhand and pitch casts with the deps, must be fine right? Small pond, I try throwing it overhand as usual to bomb a cast and snap, comes off. Knot was perfect, line was heavy enough and pretty new, no fish caught on it or structure that rubbed against it, rod rated 2-8oz with a 6.5 oz lure and snap comes clean off and flies across the small pond lands in what seems to be the middle. Mom thought I would get a disease going in the pond, wouldn't let me dive for the bait, whenever I went out she made sure I wasn't going to try and get it... BUT she didn't care if a friend did. Proceeded to tell a friend if he did it for me while I was there (making sure he won't run off with an og biwa..) I would give him some of my swimbaits (at the time the stuff I had for him was a gantarel, megabass islide 135 and line thru savage gear 6" trout. We looked right where it snapped off, in this about 5 foot deep pond filled with only weeds... using magnets, a pool net, even a golf ball retriever/normal yard rake.. kid had to go on a vacation for a weekend and a few days.. comes back, first day we go back to look he steps in and like 2 steps in he feels something, he had been pinched by some crawdads before looking for it, but low and behold it was right there. Must've glided over somehow.

Long story short, do research as to what your rod can throw, or be prepared to lose baits or go swimming..

I was on the delta once, in franks, and me and like 5 other guys were fishing this giant tule flat. all the sudden next to me, this guy sets on a punch fish he found in a pile of dead tules. Instantly his reel comes flying off and rips through 4 of his guides. he lost the fish and completely totaled his punch rod. Hell of a day.

Big Game

Ive used big game almost exclusively since i started throwing swimbaits. 20 lb test ive thrown gantarels to 250s to double hudd rigs. Chucking as hard as i can i never have broken off a lure. Sounds alot like jacks knot was weak, knicked, or old line. I also never buy the stuff from walmart i go to my local shop and get spooled.

Edited by Low&Slow

Ive used big game almost exclusively since i started throwing swimbaits. 20 lb test ive thrown gantarels to 250s to double hudd rigs. Chucking as hard as i can i never have broken off a lure. Sounds alot like jacks knot was weak, knicked, or old line. I also never buy the stuff from walmart i go to my local shop and get spooled.

Same here, I've used big game exclusively for swimbaits also. And have never broken off a bait that wasn't my fault.

I was out one day and had been fishing with a Hudd for about 2 hours. I started to space out while I was slowly winding my reel, I felt a thump and it snapped me out of my daze immediately, I was so surprised that when I went to set the hook my freaking thumb hit the cast button on my reel and I backlashed and lost the fish. It took everything in me not to flip out... I now make sure I have the proper caffeine levels in my system when I'm on the water haha!