Rookie Mistakes

TmBtc12

I was fishing one summer catching big spots and hybrids and they were blowing up everywhere. I caught a couple and decided I needed to retie after I tied my bait checked the knot and clipped the tag end I threw the pliers over the side of the boat instead of my bait.

Haha, done that on a couple of occasions. My pliers are 10-15 bucks, but would rather use that money for more swimbaits if I would just slow down a little bit.

I seem to have a problem with watching the fish eat the bait and just keep watching and not swing until it's too late

All that runs through my mind is damn that thing just ate my bait that's sick

:lol: I did that today!!! I usually do that, or I will set the hook too early and yank it out of their mouth's!

Years ago I decided to go out for a couple of hours of fishing on the pond I live on. This was early April and the ice had been out for a week or two. My big boat was still on the trailer so I took a 10 foot pram with an electric on the front. Grabbed a couple of rods, battery, and main tackle bag. My black lab was a couple of years old and still really energetic so I tied her collar to a clip in the boat to discourage her from jumping out. I had the deep cell battery and big tackle bag in the front with me. At some point the dog decides to join me in the front. That was enough to shift the balance and submerge the front of the pram.

As water started to pour in over the front, I panicked and twisted the handle of the troller to full speed. This immediately caused the boat into a full dive - not unlike the movies where you see the U-Boat captain yelling "Dive-Dive". As the boat started to tip sideways and my life flashed before my eyes, I jumped over. I was about 100 yards from shore but fortunately the water was only chin deep. I had replaced the alligator clips on the trolling motor with ring terminals which were secured with wingnuts so the battery sunk to the bottom pulling the boat halfway down while the prop continued to turn, whacking me in the leg with each revolution I managed to turn off the motor, all while watching one oar, tackle bag and life preserver float off. While this is happening my 70 pound lab is still tied onto the side of the boat with a 4 foot rope and is going berserk thrashing and howling.

Somehow I manage to drag the boat to shore, battery dragging on the bottom and dog thrashing and howling. The water must have been in the low 40s but I never felt the cold. I got to shore, tied the dog to a tree, drained the boat, and used the one oar to retrieve the second oar, tackle bag and life preserver (rods were gone). I then retrieved the dog and rowed the half mile back home all while the lab is furiously kissing my face. I walk into the house dripping wet and my son barely looks up from his video game and asks "how was the fishing?" I reply, "pretty good until the boat sunk".

I have since extended the wires on the trolling motor so I can put it in the back for better weight balance.

• 2 months later...

First swimbait trip on a mh jig rod, 6in spro. Cast it parallel to a dock and it snaps off. Flies through the air. Game warden boat come out of his boat slip in enough time for my swimmer to land at the bow of his boat

Was night fishing one night, looking for smallies, which seems to always be a shitty idea.

Casting a slammer down the bank, I cast it into a huge white log that is clearly visible in the darkness and partially submerged at an angle off the bank.

Troll over to it. Things giant. Probably 8' around, so I step out onto it, it cracks and I fall in.... Pissed off, I get my slammer off it, and hop back in the boat.

It's cold enough my buddy is literally sitting in the back seat with a sleeping bag on, I am standing on the front deck in my underwear now....

Wind up for my next cast, SNAP!, forgot that I snagged with braid and it had dug into itself.

Barely make out where the bait landed, and somehow manage to find it.

Retie it.

Go for my next cast, SNAP!. You guessed it, forgot to check it again.

Take some time and go find it again. Over the course of probably an hour I made 3 casts, none of which I actually got to fish.

True story.

Was night fishing one night, looking for smallies, which seems to always be a shitty idea.

Casting a slammer down the bank, I cast it into a huge white log that is clearly visible in the darkness and partially submerged at an angle off the bank.

Troll over to it. Things giant. Probably 8' around, so I step out onto it, it cracks and I fall in.... Pissed off, I get my slammer off it, and hop back in the boat.

It's cold enough my buddy is literally sitting in the back seat with a sleeping bag on, I am standing on the front deck in my underwear now....

Wind up for my next cast, SNAP!, forgot that I snagged with braid and it had dug into itself.

Barely make out where the bait landed, and somehow manage to find it.

Retie it.

Go for my next cast, SNAP!. You guessed it, forgot to check it again.

Take some time and go find it again. Over the course of probably an hour I made 3 casts, none of which I actually got to fish.

True story.

Haha...oh man, thats a good one!

Some funny ish on here so far :lol: Just this weekend I launched my small jon boat without a rope attached and had to wade balls deep to get it.....while an old lady and her dog watched me :oops: Then a day later I got a Deps 250 wrapped up in a flag hanging from the top of a dock that took 20 minutes to get out :lol::lol:

• 2 years later...

An old thread bumped up to relive your rookie mistakes..

As a young lad I was learning to use my first ever baitcaster spooled with eagle claw line (heh!). I was fishing with an old friend, as we're fishing I proceed to backlash making a cast (one of many, to this day). I pull out my trusty old needle nose pliers and begin to undo my birds nest, Picking and ripping my line away to get the mess apart. My buddy proceeds to laugh at me telling me I'm damaging my line and should just use my fingers. My logic was it was easier and faster at the time. Good thing I was carrying 1000yard roll of eagle claw in my backpack!

An old thread bumped up to relive your rookie mistakes..

As a young lad I was learning to use my first ever baitcaster spooled with eagle claw line (heh!). I was fishing with an old friend, as we're fishing I proceed to backlash making a cast (one of many, to this day). I pull out my trusty old needle nose pliers and begin to undo my birds nest, Picking and ripping my line away to get the mess apart. My buddy proceeds to laugh at me telling me I'm damaging my line and should just use my fingers. My logic was it was easier and faster at the time. Good thing I was carrying 1000yard roll of eagle claw in my backpack!

haha lesson learned, not sure if anyone else does this, but I carry an old snap I have (like some eagle claw brand or crap brand, one I used awhile ago) and straightened it out to use the little thing to get birds nests out.

Summer of 2015. First day throwing an 8" bbz trout. I had just landed a 3lb 7oz large mouth. As I was bringing her in, I watched 2 other 5+lb try to eat her. Too excited to get my bait back in the water, I didn't check my knot or think about "good" casting technique. I whipped that bait out and my thumb got pulled into the spool/reel and snap. Breaking 20lb fluro is loud, my thumb instantly bruised, I proceed to drop my rod and curse. Not sure what was worse, the pain in my finger or my self image as there were 3 older ladies walking their dogs directly behind me.

hmmm... lets see. not sure where to start. 

1. dont rent a boat in gale force wind conditions. (boat sank)

2. dont throw a hinkle trout unless you're using AT LEAST 25# line if not 30#. (RIP)

3. dont prop up your rod holding your brand new conquest unless it can't be knocked over. (only a big scratch on the side....ONLY  :cry: )

4. dont take your fresh water reel in the ocean unless you know its water/air tight.  :oops: