A few swimbait fish from Saturday July 16

High Power Swimbaits

Here are a few cast to catch swimbait fish from this past Saturday. These are all on Osprey Top Hook Talons in the six and seven inch sizes. The fish in the video were all pretty much community hole fish. ;) I caught several more on top hook talon, high power herring, rising son and hudds. They were almost swallowing the baits on the strike before I could set the hook.

Are those spots or largies?

Glad you did well on Sat in the south east. I fished from 4AM-noon with only 1 bump on a swimbait. I didn't think Friday night cooled off that much, but something had the bait and bass all funny. Well, I assume bass were since I only caught one 14" fish when I spent a few minutes with regular tackle doing a "reality check".

A tournament went out at the same ramp and time as me and was won w/ only a little over 7 lbs, so it wasn't just me.

All largemouth. If I had only fished before noon I wouldn't have had any fish. I started around 10am and the first two hours were no bites and everybody I talked to had caught very few fish if any. These fish all bit noon til 7pm and I left them biting since the lake was closing. The night before around midnight was good at another lake as one of my swimbait fishing buddies got an 11 pounder fishing from 12am till 3am but only four fish. I had zero fishing at night. Full moon for us almost always means a very slow morning and a good afternoon bite. We just sleep the morning most of the time and fish the midday/afternoon and right in the middle of the night when we can.

Of course, the fishing is always better last week or a few hours before/later!

I had the same thought about the full moon, and the wind was blowin pretty good at night so I really didn't expect it to be great (seems to blow the fish off the structure when during the day it seems to blow them into it, if that makes sense). I got on one huge amount of bait just at safe light and had a few fish blow up just out of casting range, and then like a light switch everything was gone. GONE gone. It went from the most bait I've seen to a desert like I've never seen before. I hate these stupid herring, I really do.

Usually overcast and wind does good for me during the day, so I expected to do better once the sun came up. Maybe I just needed to stay out longer. I thought it was just location change, but I did start finding some better bait again at the end of the day and got that one fish and another bite on fairy baits. Maybe it was more the timing than moving.