The Hudd bite?

kmooresd85

This may just be major inexperience on my part, but I'm still trying to learn about hudds.

I cannot seem to get bit on one. I'm fairly new, and when I very first started, I collected a bunch (cost/availability) because I was told it was so great. But months go by and nothin.

First time out with a Roman made I get bit.

First time out with a deps I get bit.

Why not the hudd? If anyone has any pointers, please let me know.

By the way I butch rig them. I have slow rolled on the bottom, swam them slow, and other methods. Trout are stocked in the lakes I fish as well.

Judging by what I've been told I can't help but feel like if I ever get it down I'm gonna really enjoy myself.

Sorry for the noob question

So in general I have no idea about what I'm talking about. Having said that, baits like the deps and roman made are easier baits to fish because you don't have to pay so much attention to drop offs, points, grass lines and what the bottom looks like in general. Glide baits having drawing power that will pull bass off ambush points. Baits with less drawing power like hudds and magnums you really need to make good casts and know where the fish are. If you don't know where the bass are staging and targeting trout the hudd bite will be slow and far between. Throwing a bait with lots of drawing power will give you a good idea where the fish are because it will pull them off those spots so you can see them.

So in general I have no idea about what I'm talking about. Having said that, baits like the deps and roman made are easier baits to fish because you don't have to pay so much attention to drop offs, points, grass lines and what the bottom looks like in general. Glide baits having drawing power that will pull bass off ambush points. Baits with less drawing power like hudds and magnums you really need to make good casts and know where the fish are. If you don't know where the bass are staging and targeting trout the hudd bite will be slow and far between. Throwing a bait with lots of drawing power will give you a good idea where the fish are because it will pull them off those spots so you can see them.

+1. Its all about angles

I was the same way but alas, time on the water changed that for me. Then I started getting bit and would miss fish or they'd come unbuttoned. Then I started hitting the fish as hard as I could when they bit, magically they wouldn't come unpinned. It's all that time on the water that's helped me improve my huddleston game. Note that my experience come from the six inch hudd not the 8 inch deluxe.

I was the same way but alas, time on the water changed that for me. Then I started getting bit and would miss fish or they'd come unbuttoned. Then I started hitting the fish as hard as I could when they bit, magically they wouldn't come unpinned. It's all that time on the water that's helped me improve my huddleston game. Note that my experience come from the six inch hudd not the 8 inch deluxe.

I was opposite. Couldnt get them on the 6. Went to the 8 and got one

I was opposite. Couldnt get them on the 6. Went to the 8 and got one

It's a little bit of lack of trying on my part. After watching a 3-4 pounder inhale my six inch weedless yesterday like it was nothing I think I'm going to have to step it up to 8" huddlestons.

Keep throwing hudds man, they'll get bit eventually. Change up your approach until you stick one. Get creative with it, work it up and down points and drop-offs, etc. Reel it fast, slow, on the bottom, up top, etc. I went last weekend for the first time in like 2 years and stuck a few on an 8" hudd against a rocky shoreline.

My friend Sean, threw his Hudd for 6 hours on Sunday without a bite. He was ready to give up and I told him to keep throwing it and have confidence. 10 minutes later he stuck this decent 3.5 pounder. Needless to say he's hooked. Fish them as slow as you can.

post-1408-14252996570592_thumb.jpg