Getting Frustrated and Discouraged.....

Big Poppa

So Im new to swimbaits and have been hitting the water hard with no fish to show for it. I've spent countless hours of time on youtube and on SU researching techniques and then going out and trying. Ive been throwing everything at these fish and nothing... I've tried hudds and Savage Gear line thru and then decided to downsize(5" bull shad, deps 115, s-waver etc.) to try to get some numbers and build confidence. Since there are no trout in my home lake I tried gill baits like the g2 shell cracker and the Got Em Coach Gillz. I've tried fishing drop offs, points, weed lines, lay downs, stump fields, bridges, etc. Honestly I havent even been able to catch a cold. I cant figure out what I am doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'll agree, night fishing with a slammer. maybe go out with an s-waver or roman made negotiator.

or throw a 5-6" soft plastic baits like a rising son or osprey. you'll get better numbers with smaller baits.

if i just wanted to build my confidence i'd throw on a 5" california swimbabies swimbait, a 9" slammer, and maybe a mission fish then i'd fish any area i'd normally catch bass out of if i was fishing traditionally. if you aren't enjoying it don't do it, it is by no means a fishing method that will produce numbers. it is all about the big bite.

X3 on the slammer. It's what I caught my first SB fish on. In the middle of the day in a cpl with no trout. Wake jr. Or rats. The g2 cracker catches too. Stick with it, you'll get one. Find that sweet spot with the wakes where they make the most noise as SLOW as possible.

All I can say is slow it down! When your think your going to slow go slower!!! Also fish at night like previously stated A slammer is a good confidence building bait that G2 will get bit also. If you fishing from shore throw as tight to shore as you can

Let me ask you this what was your favorite or best style of traditional bass fishing? Since you are new I would suggest picking only 2 baits that fit your style of fishing and throw them till your arms fall off haha and learn everything you possibly can about those baits. It can be very frustrating to say the least I have been on a huge slump myself but one thing big baits has taught me is patience and it has payed off big time. There is no way to tell you exactly what and where to fish because everywhere is different but maybe go out and throw some traditional gear figure out what the fish are biting and then pick something to match whatever you were catching them on and see if that will help.

Everyone's advice is excellent. I am new too, but have had some luck early. No huge ones, but enough to keep me going. One thing I have always thought you needed for swimbait fishing is clear water and fish em slow. The S-Waver 168 in lite trout has been the best for me even though the lake I have been throwing it on does not have any trout in it. Good luck.

I know how you feel, we all go thru slumps. I was out with my nephew a few weeks ago, and watched him get a largemouth over six pounds out of some timber on a crawfish imitation. I could of followed the trend, but, stuck to my swimbaits. Hang in there brother, our time iscoming. :)

i'll agree, night fishing with a slammer. maybe go out with an s-waver or roman made negotiator.

or throw a 5-6" soft plastic baits like a rising son or osprey. you'll get better numbers with smaller baits.

if i just wanted to build my confidence i'd throw on a 5" california swimbabies swimbait, a 9" slammer, and maybe a mission fish then i'd fish any area i'd normally catch bass out of if i was fishing traditionally. if you aren't enjoying it don't do it, it is by no means a fishing method that will produce numbers. it is all about the big bite.

Mission Fish and other small 3:16 soft baits (shad, rising son, lil booger) are definitely good options for a beginner.

Other than that, yes, you are going for a specific fish, and your numbers will drop accordingly.

i would suggest going out with just 2-3 baits and committing to throwing them.

when i first got into it, i just took the river 2 sea waver with me and a slammer, and threw them all day, for days before getting a hit.

Commit to a few baits and learn them inside and out.

like everyone else suggested, throw the slammer til your arms hurt. its been the go to for myself and buddies, cranking it just under the surface has been key.

its tough to get that first fish but once you do its addicting!!!

good luck and keep throwing

Thanks for the support guys. Im gonna put in a order to pick up some 3:16s. My punker came in the mail today so Im pretty excited to get out in the morning. My lake doesnt allow overnight fishing. I understand that swimbaits dont get numbers but not getting a single fish on a swimbait in 4 months is a slump I need to break :lol:

Right there with ya bud. Things that have worked for me in the past just aren't cutting it, had to rethink some things and try other stuff. Not only do fish change from year to year season to season,but so does the body of water. Last year one of our lakes had a bunch of hydrilla and now this year there is none so don't get too caught up in fishing the same baits and styles. Always be open to the current conditions and be ready to change and adapt. Keep at it, all it takes is one cast :D

You have the what I like to call, "it's cool to throw swimbaits, and I have more baits than teeth marks" syndrome!!! Happened to me and happens to a lot of people so don't fret... Choose 1 bait, learn how to fish it, and progress... Owning every bait made does nothing to increase your chances of getting bit... Unless you want to be a bait collector ... Just my 1 cent....

You have the what I like to call, "it's cool throw swimbaits, and I have more baits than teeth marks" syndrome!!! Happened to me and happens to a lot of people so don't fret... Choose 1 bait, learn how to fish it, and progress... Owning every bait made does nothing to increase your chances of getting bit... Unless you want to be a bait collector ... Just my 1 cent....

Yeah, Its kinda true. Im just trying to get on the swimbait bite before everybody else does here in VA. I was trying to cover all the possible conditions. Im gonna focus on learning a few baits first.