Smallmouth on line thru's

Go Big or go home

Been fishing for some smallies with the Osprey R-Mac and am getting hit HARD but im having a hard time hooking them up... Also most of the teeth marks are right near the head... i was wondering if anyone had any good advice on how to get a better hook up ratio. Or maybe i should keep chuckin'?

-Jacob

I don't have much experience with smallies but from my osprey fishing, it is probably a good idea to use some lube whch should improve hooking. Also, I know the stock hoopk comes with a pretty long swivel which makes the hook insert pretty far back in the body. Maybe you could try using just a hook, which would move the hook closer to the head and inserting a small bb or split shot into the belly as a counterweight to replace the swivel so it won't roll.

I'm not fimiliar with the bait you are using. But I have had some great trips with a bottom hook Rising son on smallies. I experienced the same type of missed bites for a while. The fish were coming up out of deep water and smashing it near the surface. I had to do a really quick hookset, even just a quick crank on the reel would get them sometimes. A lot of them were hooked on the outside of the mouth but the bigger ones would choke it

Yeah i was thinking that maybe i should try some lube also. What lube would you recommend to use?

Try using the Pro Cure Trout formula or one of the bass formulas (Bass Feast and Bass Hammer have been effective for me) in Smelly Jelly. They both work very well but in my experience, the Pro Cure lasts longer. You don't need to lather it on. Put some on your finger and smear it all over. They both use a vaseline like material mixed with the attractant which is why it lasts well and why it's effective on improving hook ups.

Tim