Shimano calcutta D vs. Calcutta TE

BBF_Baits

Ok there is a few reviews on these individual reels but I couldn't find anything in the search that really compared them. I'm looking for a reel for my LDC XH production I will be throwing deps 250 and 8 inch hudds and really any bait up to 7 ounces for now.

Is it worth the extra money to get a te or does the d suffice? The te is a lot of money and don't get me wrong the D is expensive as well but the te is a lot of money for a reel. So is it worth it or would you just stick with the D?

They are both good reel! TE is definitely worth the $$...imo the te is built more quality but I do love the smoothness and light weight of the d..the d is more narrower and can palm it nicely. Ive tried both reel on the xh production and I feel the d balance it out better but thats just my preference. ..

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

the TE vs D is a tough call. Personally i feel like the D had upgrades in design: ergonomics (narrow frame lower in profile and long handle), Cranking power via the new xship system. However at the same time there are several downgrades: the non-disengaging level wind, the cheaper plastic parts on the line guide, and over all quality is not as good as the TE.

The 400D is still a good reel but I feel its a rip off to bring it to market at the same Price point that the TE sold for. IMHO it is a $250-$300 reel. I have had and fished my TE hard for close to 10 years only servicing it one time. I fished D hard for 2 years and not it is wore out (loose, sloppy and makes grinding noises) I serviced it one time and it was good for a few trips and then got rough again.

There are some good video reviews on youtube that go into detail on each reel, didnt see a

Comparison but you can make ur own call after watching them, i dont have a D but have 3 401TE's and love them, have had 1 for over 7 years and its still fishing like the day i first

Got it, i think the big difference is in the quality of

The reel Materials tho, the TE might have been produced to tighter manuafacturing tolerances, but im not sure

Personally the D is the smoothest round reel I've fished I've got a 300 and 400 I've used for about 7-8 months and my 400 is starting to make noise I'm not sure if is from heavy baits or some defective parts but it's kind of upsetting when I spent like 380 on it my opinion would be a TE, for years they've never gave me a single problem with regular maintainance

• 1 month later...

I have both a te300 and a 300d

and I like them both but I got to say the d series does fill better in my hand with the smaller profile with it not being as wide . But correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they stop making the Te and the d series took its place ?

Yes they no longer make the TE's but you can still get them (welcome to SU ryan:) ) my 2 cents having the TE's the D's and the conquest TE the older version are made a lot better then the new , if u dont mind weight and size go with the TE's specially if you can get the older conquest ( japan tackle ) they are far superior to the regular TE's and the D's . Major thing to think about is with the new D's you have no quick access to brake system unless you buy the jdm version from japan , but in saying that I only adjust my brakes on my D's once (kind of a set it and forget it) Do all my other adjustments with cast control knob . The D's are way over priced for how cheaply made they are (loaded with plastic) they should be in the $200 range . Shimano is know for doing this just look how they butchered the curado's use to be way cheaper priced and better made (dont aways think new is better most the time its just hype)

Edited by JeremyW