So is a secret or not?

biteme

I caught a 10.2 a while back and posted a picture and its size and thats it on a local site I go to. It was my first DD and I was pretty excited about it. I have been trowing big baits for a long time and the DD just didnt come easy for me. I have a couple buddies that big bait fish and one said I shouldnt have posted the picture. I had a hard time understanding this because when he got his first double he posted it ALL over the place, fish sniffer, local stores, sites ect.! Then a buddy of his sent me a PM and talked mad ish to me about how it was his water and to stay away.

The reason why Im bringing this up is because of a couple reasons. One is, I know a lot of you dont post pics. Why is that? Do you really think big bait fishing is that easy? Easy enough that someone might get a idea of where your fishing and could go out there and stick fish? Do you really think what we do is that mindless? I see anglers every weekend beating the bank and they seem to have no clue. Or big baits just dont do it for them.

Second reason is. I got Bass West today and I open it up to find a pic of the same guy that told me not to post pics. He had a pic of a fish with the location, size and bait he used.

Now doesnt that seem kind of hypocritical to you?

My son, 16 at the time, caught a pig of a bass on a power plant lake clearly showing exactly where we were and in what type of cover we were fishing. He posted it on a local fishing forum, background un-edited. I caught crap from several friends who thought it gave away too much information and that everyone would now know where to go catch those fish. Problem with their theories is that he caught it on a very crowded day when lots of other boats saw where we were but wouldn't come in there for fear of scratching their pretty boats. Plus, it was a really specific presentation and it only lasted a few minutes each trip. Time it right, hero - time it wrong, zero.

So the way I see it, if someone can view a pic of me holding a fish and determine everything they need to know about the presentation, boat alignment, or any other factors involved in my catching that fish and duplicate it - more power to them. I know that I've seen a buttload of big fish catches from lakes I fish all the time and I can't know the subtleties from a picture.

I really believe that on most heavily fished lakes, there are no secrets. I promise you that's the case on the east Tx lakes I fish.

Also, sounds like your buddy and his buddy may be genuine turds :D

just my opinion, but in my experience fishing for trophy fish is a completely different ball game than traditional bass fishing in terms of the type of people that are seriously committed to doing so. The problem with this is that big baits along with the big fish they are capable of producing can produce egos just as big if not bigger than the fish themselves.

I had a very frustrating experience a few years back when I took two very close friends to a local spot they had not known about assuming they would respect the fact it was a low key spot that did not get much pressure, yet was loaded with good fish. Little did I know over the following months they would end up taking everyone of their friends they possibly could and their friends in turn did the same thing until eventually people complained about the sudden increase in trail traffic to get there at night time leading to it being patrolled heavily by a private security company effectively eliminating that water.

This was by no means a trophy lake but instead an extremely under pressured fishery that was a lot of fun to fish, and it was basically private with the exception being a few locals that knew of it.

Now imagine having a lake just like that with trophy fish in it? would you want this to happen to that lake?

It only takes one person to ruin it for everyone. Everyone wants to catch big fish if you post up an easily recognizable body of water holding a trophy fish you can be damn sure there will be an influx of people looking to get on that same bite in the not too distant future.

Unfortunately for most of us we are not butch brown's, we cannot spend 300+ days a year on the lake and have a lake so dialed in it doesn't matter who sees you because your skill and experience trumps any spot burners ability to recognize an area of a lake. with that said most intelligent people would rather keep their success to themselves to preserve their odds of repeat success.

Its good to be discreet but I agree sometimes guys "egos" get to a point they think they own certain spots. They forget the guys that came before them that once "owned" their spots. If you put in your time that will trump all the rest. Look at a guy like Butch, everyone knows where he's at but he still gets them like nobody else because he's out there all the time staying on top of day to day movements, etc.

Some guys go to extremes and lie about places and baits, its better to say nothing at all unless you genuinely are trying to be helpful. Where I live in so cal there aren't any "secret" spots so we all just have to share what we got and do the best we can.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Have fun, stay motivated and keep puttin' in your time-thats worth more than any spot and you'll be effective wherever you go. There's some "kids" gettin' into this thing that think they are gangstas because they got a swimbait rod and caught a few fish. Its not about being a badass. It always matters how you treat people regardless of your level of success.

Congrats on the fish and don't let em' push your buttons. Where's this spot by the way :lol:

JK

It does suck that there are spot jumpers, but no one owns the water or a particular spot.

This is the way I see it. I was fishing the lake Im talking about long before. I took time off for life and bam someone now owns the lake.

If you treat people like ish they will then in return ish on you! When I got a PM from a member and he was talking mad ish all it made me do was want to fish it more! Then my other buddy stopped talking to me. So I was like screw these guys! Ill just burn the place! Im soooo sick and tired of all this ego crap. The day I caught my DD I didnt ask anyone for spots or info. I went out and stuck the fish. Then I hear "well I told you to fish points" LOL are you kidding me! Who the hell doesnt fish points,lol.

Heres my pic that I got hell over.

DSC_0508-1.jpg

One of the guys Ive never spoke with. But my old buddy fishes with him and I knew of him. So I get a random PM from him.

LMAO You must be like a pro bass fisherman, because you caught your dd with TWO powerpoles down in the water and a pair of sissy sticks in you professional bacrac. I know where that is btw, main point leading into a spawning bay and if you think your on some kind of hotstreak your dead wrong. People like you are a joke not knowing what theyre doing and getting a big fish. To top is off you post it up like you are somebody. Anyone can tell you dont throw big baits with any regularity the way you held that fish, along with the sissy sticks, and posting it up on a forum. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol::roll: Are you one of the posers that heard about media day and figured you could get an easy sb fish out there? Hahaha

Just making sure you dont embarrass yourself too much! Maybe Ill bump into you out there and prove you truly have no idea what your doing

Yeah he REALLY sent me that! This guy is a member here and he seems to think hes the ish.

Its good to be discreet but I agree sometimes guys "egos" get to a point they think they own certain spots. They forget the guys that came before them that once "owned" their spots. If you put in your time that will trump all the rest. Look at a guy like Butch, everyone knows where he's at but he still gets them like nobody else because he's out there all the time staying on top of day to day movements, etc.

Some guys go to extremes and lie about places and baits, its better to say nothing at all unless you genuinely are trying to be helpful. Where I live in so cal there aren't any "secret" spots so we all just have to share what we got and do the best we can.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Have fun, stay motivated and keep puttin' in your time-thats worth more than any spot and you'll be effective wherever you go. There's some "kids" gettin' into this thing that think they are gangstas because they got a swimbait rod and caught a few fish. Its not about being a badass. It always matters how you treat people regardless of your level of success.

Congrats on the fish and don't let em' push your buttons. Where's this spot by the way :lol:

JK

Yeah it just sux to loose a buddy over the drama. We both started at the same time. We both learned from the same guy.

nice fish! thats a very... colorful pm. Sounds like someone is a little jealous if you ask me :lol:

x2 Jealousy breeds envy...envy breeds hate. It is what it is. Maybe if he wasnt crying over YOUR fish, hed be catching his own. And given his superiority complex why should he worry about it? If he is indeed the ish then let ur "lucky fish" be just that, and he should be sticking em every other day right? :roll::roll::roll: What a tool :lol:

Nice fish. He sounds like a miserable person. I wonder if these type of people actually have fun fishing. I have better things to worry about other than who is burning my spot. Why can't people say nice fish and move on. I would like to think that most of these giants fish are released to fight another day.

Nice fish. He sounds like a miserable person. I wonder if these type of people actually have fun fishing. I have better things to worry about other than who is burning my spot. Why can't people say nice fish and move on. I would like to think that most of these giants fish are released to fight another day.

The question is, if they know it all and bash newbs for asking questions then why the hell do they post on these sites? Seems like they like to add to topics but never start any :roll:

I sometimes wish they would fall off their high horse and remember who taught them.

I had that talk also. But amnesia sets in and then they convince themselves they are self taught.