Wood Shellcracker noob paint issue/questions

SwimbaitNewEngland

Hey SU. Picked up a wood Shellcracker this week, and on the maiden voyage, the paint crapped out. That leads to a couple of questions...

Will the bait get ruined if I keep fishing it without repainting it first?

How should I go about repainting it? Do I take the bait apart, sand the paint off, then go at it with a rattle can?

In just under an hour Tuesday night, I landed three fish on it. I'm headed out again tonight and want to throw it, but only if I know it won't swell or damage the body being exposed. I know baits like Slammers get hook rash and exposed wood after extensive use. Is this the same?

post-2765-14253002758875_thumb.jpg

mine looks even worse and hasnt even caught a fish, first time out in cracked and peeled about 1/4 of the bait, and i only fished it for about 20 minutes, it looks even worse now, really disappointed with it and the lack of response i got. has about 1/2 the paint left on it and no fish

i just put some clear nail polish on it for now, still hasnt gotten a bite.

ill probably strip it down and send it out to get painted over the winter .

mine looks even worse and hasnt even caught a fish, first time out in cracked and peeled about 1/4 of the bait, and i only fished it for about 20 minutes, it looks even worse now, really disappointed with it and the lack of response i got. has about 1/2 the paint left on it and no fish

i just put some clear nail polish on it for now, still hasnt gotten a bite.

ill probably strip it down and send it out to get painted over the winter .

Wanna get rid of it? I'll send you my address. :D

I've owned and repainted quite a few of these over the years. The paint job is good on them, it's the design of the joint is where the issue is. The holes where the pin enters wick and absorb water. That is why it's always the rear half. You can use CPES or try to thin back some epoxy with acetone/denatured alcohol and drop it in there but it'll still wear over time.

i'd send them an email...they may not respond for a couple days, but they will respond and take care of you

3 emails later, and 4 months and no response

mine is cracking/split all over, front and back

that's weird...i got an almost immediate response

i used this page

http://store.blackdogbaits.com/contact

yup me too, i just gave up, my buddies is doing the same thing, both sections and no fish, im just going to peel it all off and send it out for paint.

looks like the paint is peeling cause its not primed under it, just trying to stick paint to bare wood

that's weird...i got an almost immediate response

i used this page

http://store.blackdogbaits.com/contact

My boys Shellcracker did the same thing with paint peeling/cracking off and started splitting in a couple of places and I used this link. Jeremy I think is his name got back to me after a few days and had me send it to him. Waiting to hear back now!