Choice of boat

Jack Swimbait Kid

I would say tracker if you want a tin boat. I had 4 of them and they are nice. If you are looking for a glass boat, I will never buy a nitro again, just leave it at that. If you can find an older champion that is in great condition, I would like at it. They where built like tanks. I own a 191DC elite with a 200 merc and love it. Ranger, bullet, older gamblers, and tritan.

Good luck

With a 30k budget you need to stay away from tin ;) get glass! You won't regret that decision. I have fished out of most of them, but I'm a basscat guy through and through. Can't go wrong with Basscat, Champion, Ranger, Skeeter, Triton... I would stay away from Nitro. That's just my $0.02, based off personal experience. Any boat that gets you on the water, is a good boat :mrgreen:

You are Tx, Some BIG water there.

People will talk about ride but you would be looking at 17 or 18' boats. Those are low on the ride scale anyway on them all.

Find one that fits your needs. Good used would be cool too. But in the NEW, well, hate to say but Nitro is an option. I didn't have good luck at all with my first one but then again I don't know anyone who had a boat like that before either lol.

The one I have now is good so far. I like the ride, room and live well space on the Z7. Z8 and 9 the live wells sucked to me.

I bought this boat to catch and "release" it helps to keep them in a nice size well.

But my boat with a few needed upgrades came to 30. It's the upgrades that kill ya on new. :lol:

First off, if I were about to drop $30k on a boat, it's going to be the boat of my choosing. I wouldn't let anyone tell me what to get, or what I'm supposed to like.

I used to work on boats for a living. Of the now major brands of bass boats, the only two I haven't worked on are Legend and Phoenix. Both because they are fairly new brands. I've picked a Legend apart, just never had one in for work.

By far the best built bass boat I've ever worked on was a BassCat. 99% of the time while doing repair work, you're thinking "how stupid are these guys for doing (this) that way?!" BassCat is the only brand that every time I had one in to fix something, I was more and more impressed.

There are things I dislike about most boats I've ever fished in. In the end it all comes back to build quality for me, probably because I've seen all the stupid ish manufacturers do, and all the crazy ish that can go wrong on the water. I wouldn't say that there is any brand to stay away from. They all have their weak spots, and most of the issues are avoidable if the owner thinks as much about maintenance for the hull as everyone already worries about for their motor.

Shop was 2 miles from Lake Erie. I've seen a lot of broken ish.