New member with a ?

Ceaser

I make wood swim/wakebaits for myself and some well known locals so I am constantly observing and wondering about fish behavior. The whole bluegill size thing is an enigma to me. I am luck enough to live on the CA delta off my dock I have 12-18ft visibility. Its like sea world with the bass and bluegill! lol But from all my hours posted outta site on the dock and the deck of the boat getting sunburnt watching how the bass corral and eat the 'gills it seems to me the bass after reaching 5 lbs.. still key on the 3-4" gills. Ive seen my resident "mamma" 10+ eat on numerous occasions and they are always 3-4"ers. I got some hours in just staring and havent seen em eat or even give a second look to the gills that are the size of most swimmers. Anyone have experience with this or am i just way off and they eat the handsized gills everywhere else but here. Even the gills in the well from stickin a big one in for pics later are usually in this small size range. I know body shape has alot to do with it cuz the same bass chomp 8" baby bass without hesitation.

Thanks

Ive never seen the feeding freenzy on bluegil, but shad i have. Even in my own personal experience, if i were to use a 5" shad bait compared to a 7" bait, im getting big ones more often on the 5". Sure i get nice ones on the 7" but the frequency is with the 5". Just my .02

yeah out of all the delta franks tract would be the place, i know, i fish the delta to. i have seen the same thing, i am on the look for a weedless bluegill bait that can go down there and be worked SLOW, but until then i have bin usin a triple trout bluegill slow sink, and if they aren't biting but u see them down there, throw it right next to there face and right when they see it jerk it about 1-2 feet away from them, (most of the time they will follow) and when they get like 1/2 a foot next to it jerk it again, and keep doin that and u will get them to give u a reaction bite, if u see them swim past the bait while following it work it medium fast and they will stop, look back and Murder it!! wait like 2 seconds after they hit it so they can get the hole thing in their mouth, cuz most of the time they eat it half way, so if u wait 2 seconds they will eat the hole bait and u got urself a fish.

USE THIS POWER FOR GOOD, NOT EVIL!!!

• 2 weeks later...

In general, bass may prefer to eat the smaller 'gills but I have good success, and prefer using larger bluegill baits. Here's why - this is a nearly hand-sized 'gill that was spitup by an 11.

eatenbluegill.jpg

After catching that fish, I went on a mission to find a 5"+ bluegill profile bait that I could fish in heavy timber. I found it in the Triple J Swimbaits 2J. The first fish I caught on it, actually the very first cast with the bait, was 9 even. I since caught several large fish on the bait, and never anything under 5 with it.

Look at the pics of the absolute monster fish that Robbie is posting up that he's catching on that large 'gill bait. I want me some of that :D

I seem to have read somewhere that as bluegill get bigger they can be less desirable to a bass because they become a lot spinier compared to the smaller ones....don't know this as fact but would support your 'theory'. For giants, I still believe bigger is better.....less energy expended for a better return. Otherwise, may as well throw cranks all day.

JK

• 2 weeks later...

I agree bigger is better too.. I throw a 5" topwater gill I make and same size billed swimmer but watching all these big fish eat little bluegill just has my brain working. They "bombed"(dropped pellets) my slough and the clarity and fish went to crap.. but now its clear and the fish are back and I have to admit.. when the wolfpack rolls through.. ive been getting the big fish to go on a 3.5" tube jig! stupid fish! I guess ima have to put different size gills on hooks, hang em off my dock and grab the snorkel and mask and see whats really going on.

Thanks for the replies.. this is a cool site.

Ceaser