How do y'all maintain confidence?

rippin-lips

I dove into this whole swimbait thing in hopes of adding another technique to my arsenal. I purchased a decent setup and some baits that are proven to catch fish. I have thrown and thrown these things and have yet to get bit. Even in waters that are full of pike and pickerel that will seemingly bite anything that swims. Well except a dang swimbait. I've spent a decent amount on this stuff and I'm not catching fish. It feels like a gaint waste of money.

I primarily bank fish and it's only at 1 or 2 places I own a 19ft boat but don't use it often due to the cost. After thinking about it more and more it just seems like it's not right for where I'm fishing. I know that's not true and I'm just not doing something right but it's getting to be discouraging. So much to the point that I've even thought of selling it all.

So how do you guys stay confident?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you own a 6 or 68 hudd? If so throw it all the time also a 6" spro will get bit. Just keep chucking and winding you will gain confidence with each fish. If you have no confidence just remember you look bad A when trowing big baits and chicks dig that!

Do you own a 6 or 68 hudd? If so throw it all the time also a 6" spro will get bit. Just keep chucking and winding you will gain confidence with each fish. If you have no confidence just remember you look bad A when trowing big baits and chicks dig that!

Worst advice ever

Not Sure what baits your throwing but I would say try Late night ninja session or dusk or dawn. When I started a slammer and a rat bait where my confidence building baits. Also a baby wake is a good confidence building bait. Just my .02

I have a mini slammer and 9" single joint.

8" bbz in ss

G2 shellcracker

S waver 168 and 200

Hardgill in super ss but added some weight to make it ss

8" TT

8" line thru in ss and floater

The slammer and TT get thrown a good bit. I threw the hardgill yesterday for a while. I did fish twice at night with the slammer.

Worst advice ever

How so? 6" baits get more bites and bigger baits get bigger bites thats my .02. Boost your confidence with smaller swimbaits then start throwing the bigger stuff for donkeys once you have confidence in your swim baits. Thats what works for me.

to tell someone to just keep chucking is stupid...that's not gonna change anything and is worthless. He's obviously gonna keep throwing...so you're not telling him anything that will help

You can't catch fish on a swimbait if your swimbait is not it the water. When people told me to keep chucking it helped me to well keep chucking.

All those are good baits but may not fit your style. When your just throwing the little stuff whats your go to bait? Do you fish grass, rock, wood, shallow or deep? I know with the temps cooling down I would focus on fishing the 200 swaver around hard cover rock wood or boat docks especially for me floating boat docks. I haven't used the 200 but throw other 8"-11" glides and this is when the bite starts to turn on for me. The best thing I can tell you is to pick a swimbait that best fits your style and fish the crap out of that bait and learn everything possible about it. Swimbaits are hard to figure out because they don't generate many bites and can be frustrating so if your constantly changing baits your not putting in the time to learn if that makes any sense.

Charge your batteries up and go to Rocky Gap lake. Start throwing trout color baits. That place has a state record in it.

Bring your 8" TT, Swaver 200, 9" slammer and focus on those 3 there. Don't bring any other gear. You need to be out there as often as possible right now. Fall is hitting here and bass are starting to bite

You have a mini slammer, throw it a lot. It's sorta small but it is definitely a confidence booster. I remember getting my first one and thinking it was huge and when I caught my first fish on it, I started throwing it anytime and anyplace. I slowly got into bigger baits blah blah blah anyways mini slammer is a great confidence bait. 6 in rising son also.

All those are good baits but may not fit your style. When your just throwing the little stuff whats your go to bait? Do you fish grass, rock, wood, shallow or deep? I know with the temps cooling down I would focus on fishing the 200 swaver around hard cover rock wood or boat docks especially for me floating boat docks. I haven't used the 200 but throw other 8"-11" glides and this is when the bite starts to turn on for me. The best thing I can tell you is to pick a swimbait that best fits your style and fish the crap out of that bait and learn everything possible about it. Swimbaits are hard to figure out because they don't generate many bites and can be frustrating so if your constantly changing baits your not putting in the time to learn if that makes any sense.

My go to bait would be a Tx rigged rage craw with 3/16 tungsten weight. What I fish depends on where I'm at. If I take my boat to the lake then I fish grass,rocky flats,laydowns, and its shallow to around 12ft deep. The few places I hit the banks don't have much in the way of cover. So I just run and gun kind of. Yep it makes plenty of sense. Exactly why I don't plan on buying anything else. Heck the bbz has never seen the water yet. I try not to change up baits too much. Yesterday was the hardgill for 1/2 the day and TT the other 1/2. The only bait I've been bit on is the U2 gill.

Charge your batteries up and go to Rocky Gap lake. Start throwing trout color baits. That place has a state record in it.

Bring your 8" TT, Swaver 200, 9" slammer and focus on those 3 there. Don't bring any other gear. You need to be out there as often as possible right now. Fall is hitting here and bass are starting to bite

I'd rather fish a mud puddle over Rocky Gap. That place is full of dinks and they don't even like to bite. I've fished open tournaments there. When a winning bag for 5 fish is #5 that's sad. I know of 1 fish caught from there that went #8. There have been a few in the 4-6 range but they're few and far between.