Top hook soft baits

Itsafullmonty

All is good, For me this is the "only way", i've fish hard all my life and tried all the different ways, with the brad lines I found a few problems with the line getting behind the barb and cutting the hook off on a fight. As for hard single hook to the bait no flex.I lost 5 over 10lbs in one day twice in my life on video then put the crimped BB rig on and started landing them with no problems. We only get so many chances to land a fish like that in our life, so my experiences make me do what I do and as you can see I do very well. Follow your own path and i'll just keep documenting my successes and if one fellow fisherman follows my path with success i'm good!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well butch, that was an interesting response. I don't believe myself or anyone else said that your rig doesn't work. I was simply stating that it introduces variables into fishing that i generally don't have to worry about with a top hook bait. I think all of us who have used it know that it does work. it just isn't worth it to me to cut the jig hooks off of my baits and spend the time getting everything rigged up on all of my baits, my time for fishing is limited as it is.

I'm imagining your comment about not posting up fish was directed at me mainly. I never once have claimed to have all of the answers. I try to give feedback from my point of view, and that is the feedback from someone who doesn't get to fish every day, or even every week at that. That being said, I know a few guys on here who don't post in the got em section that have caught fish this year and last year that would have probably won the battle for the underground. I'm not one of those people. I fish for fun, I come here to learn things, I by no means have ever claimed to be an expert or anywhere near it. I comment only on the topics that I think I can provide a little benefit to, especially when no one else has commented and a newer guy isn't getting responses.

From all accounts you're a cool guy, and i'm not offended at all by your posts, I've never cared what anyone in the fishing scene thinks or says. I don't glorify you, mike long, doug, or any of the "household names". My heroes definitely aren't in the fishing realm. I don't expect nor want to look back some day and have someone say well... errr he was a good fisherman... not where i focus my efforts. So godspeed to you in your endless pursuit of being the best at something, you've definitely helped a lot of people in that regard.

well butch, that was an interesting response. I don't believe myself or anyone else said that your rig doesn't work. I was simply stating that it introduces variables into fishing that i generally don't have to worry about with a top hook bait. I think all of us who have used it know that it does work. it just isn't worth it to me to cut the jig hooks off of my baits and spend the time getting everything rigged up on all of my baits, my time for fishing is limited as it is.

I'm imagining your comment about not posting up fish was directed at me mainly. I never once have claimed to have all of the answers. I try to give feedback from my point of view, and that is the feedback from someone who doesn't get to fish every day, or even every week at that. That being said, I know a few guys on here who don't post in the got em section that have caught fish this year and last year that would have probably won the battle for the underground. I'm not one of those people. I fish for fun, I come here to learn things, I by no means have ever claimed to be an expert or anywhere near it. I comment only on the topics that I think I can provide a little benefit to, especially when no one else has commented and a newer guy isn't getting responses.

From all accounts you're a cool guy, and i'm not offended at all by your posts, I've never cared what anyone in the fishing scene thinks or says. I don't glorify you, mike long, doug, or any of the "household names". My heroes definitely aren't in the fishing realm. I don't expect nor want to look back some day and have someone say well... errr he was a good fisherman... not where i focus my efforts. So godspeed to you in your endless pursuit of being the best at something, you've definitely helped a lot of people in that regard.

1,038 posts since feb 2013 give me a break!

I BB rig all of mine, while its a pain in the ass to constantly re-glue the bait throughout the day, My hookup percentage has been much higher on the treble hook. I missed 8 fish over two weekends with the jig hook and once I switched I didn't have many issues. But its all personal preference.

I tried to reinvent the wheel myself. No matter what I did, the BB rig turned out to be superior. The jig hook is perfect... Perfect for giving the fish leverage to throw your bait. Lose two DDs in a day and then tell me the jig hook works fine. Switched to the BB rig and have not had any issues. That treble in the head allows them to shake and still stay pinned

BTW - the placement is correct where Butch puts it. I tried to move it back a bit and ended up catching the tail and fouling more. Up by the head is perfect. You don't want those tail nippers anyway.

-Ali

I tried to reinvent the wheel myself. No matter what I did, the BB rig turned out to be superior. The jig hook is perfect... Perfect for giving the fish leverage to throw your bait. Lose two DDs in a day and then tell me the jig hook works fine. Switched to the BB rig and have not had any issues. That treble in the head allows them to shake and still stay pinned

BTW - the placement is correct where Butch puts it. I tried to move it back a bit and ended up catching the tail and fouling more. Up by the head is perfect. You don't want those tail nippers anyway.

-Ali

Agree, bb rig is king on anything I throw over 6". Lots of head biters that barely bite past a hudds gill plates I woulda never touched with a hook if it wasn't bb rigged or a close rendition.

[attachment=0]IMG_4115.jpg[/attachment]

18 fish in a few hours today without losing one fish on the BB rigging throwing a talon and my gill bait. Just to respond my way with an answer for you "Don't change" you ways because of me i'm just being a smart ass...Now its my beer time!

very interested in knowing what "gill" bait your throwing. looks good from what i can see of it in the bottom pic. is it one in the works? or something you have for personal use to keep the edge over everybody?

From my experience, hands down bb rig is best! I started with the jig hook and lost too many giants. Made a switch to bb rig and land fish almost 100% of the time unless my hook bend. Its worth every penny. The rig never comes off on me unless I hook a fish and bait will tear but mend it does the trick back to brand new. Big girls dont play, the jig hook will come off ;)

Bb rig is the way to go, I've just recently had this bass practically GUT hooked with just the treble near the head.... Especially when I've seen bass strike the hudd multiple times in front of me with the bass swimming past the bait turning around and eating it head first I knew this was a no brainer for me, as my confidence is sky high hookup ratio with it

post-1462-14253009741248_thumb.jpg

post-1462-14253009742995_thumb.jpg