Make your own slide swimmer tuning weights

brentmason

Ok, so I'm new to this forum, fairly new to swimbaits, I've been fishing the Ozarks for 20 plus years and having a little bit of burn out lately,fishing the same ole techniques and tactics, and swimbaits really intrigue me. I've bought a couple of S wavers, slide swimmer 175s, and have made a couple of rats. I'm somewhat crafty, i do quit a bit of custom painting for a few local bait shops, mostly jerkbaits, topwaters and tis the season for wiggle warts around here. Anyway, I started messing with one of my slide swimmers the other day, wanting to play with the weights and adjust the rate of fall. I was somewhat surprised the damn weights are so hard to obtain, so I said screw it and would make my own. Really simple, need a block of wood, a 3/8" forestner drill bit and some hot lead.

Forestner bitpost-5572-14253009772425_thumb.png

Use 3/8" bit to drill oblong hole in block of woodpost-5572-14253009775343_thumb.png

Pour lead into hole, you can adjust weight by how much lead you pour into hole, bottom of hole will be somewhat rough, so the bottom of weight will be as well, a few swipes with a file will take care of it and make it flat

Here's finished product, fits almost perfect, and can adjust weights an infinite number of ways, and a hell of alot cheaper than tungsten and the factory weights

post-5572-14253009778409_thumb.png

post-5572-14253009781272_thumb.png

3/4" , I only drilled about a 1/4" deep, maybe 5/16, I drilled another identically shaped hole about an 1/8" deep, after I poured lead in 1st hole, I'd place it upside down in 2nd hole to hold it while I removed the rough area on bottom with a file