Music while fishing

VAngler

I have always preferred complete silence when I'm fishing. One reason is because I enjoy the silence and getting to listen to nature and soak everything in, but another reason is because I believe that fish can pick up on the added unnatural vibrations from underwater. People will argue that fish don't care which is actually a valid discussion but research has proven that fish can in fact feel the vibrations of music playing above water (distance away from the sound being the key variable).

Does anyone listen to music while fishing or is silence the general trend for most of you?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No music for me, really just a distraction I don't want. Enjoy the sounds of the outdoors.

Hell, go to the gym and see how much time people spend messing with their music/phones, when they should be focusing on their reason for being there. I feel like the same thing would happen with music during fishing

I used to think it would be counter productive. But im a huge music head. I havent had any issues with it reducing bites. I had a sub in my ranger at one time. Its nice to have beats on low when im out especially when you spending all day like 3-5 days in a row. The voices in my head usually drown nature out anyways LOL

I roll music-free - I like listening to the sounds around me, such as a change in the "clack, clack, clack" of a Slammer made by a fish boiling under the bait, or the noise of a feeding bass in the shallows, or, my favorite of all time, the sounds made by a herd of deer charging down a lake bank towards me in the dark, convincing me that I was being attacked by a mountain lion. I responded with a sharp warning sound of my own (my partner called it a shriek) when that happened :oops: . Seriously though, I go without music so that I can hear stuff happening - there've been a number of fish I've caught because I've heard them move in the reeds or swirl on something out of my line of sight.

Where I do play some tunes is when I'm heading out to fish - it helps get me in the right frame of mind, especially for night trips. :twisted: Favorites include "Enter Sandman", "Learning to Fly", "Midnight", "Down with the Sickness", "Extreme Ways", "Busy Child", and "You're Going Down".

Stuck a lot of big swimbait fish with music playing on the boat.

I can't get bit on baits like a hudd if I'm super focused in on the bait, retrieve, feeling the tail thump way too OCD.

The best way I can explain it to people fishing with me is that you have to consider all those variables, and adjust accordingly (consider the wind, lighting, clarity, phases, etc... then position the boat, make the cast, and make it happen), and if you can do it without having it cloud your mental (It happens to me on every single cast some days, until I can get past it), then do it. I fish with a few guys who can really just sit there and focus on their line and what not, I just never enjoyed that type of intensity outside of a tournament nearly as much, I also think that they are so focused in on the bait and what its doing they overlook key angles, or overlook the fish entirely. I spend all the idle hours off the water thinking about how to do better, catch bigger, catch more, so I guess at the end of the day, it all levels out.

Anyways, don't think music matters as long as your volume is in check. Like Ceaser I'm a music head, I'd probably listen to music 10-15 hours a day on any given day outside of work.

I try to be as focused as I can. I fish out of a ten foot pram mostly, that means the quieter the better, as far as the sounds I can control. Especially in shallow water, or, days that don't have much for wind / wave activity. I'm always telling my nephew to stop shuffling his feet on the cast or hookset, then I follow up with the question to him : "And you wonder why you never got one over Seven Pounds". He tends to get quieter after that.... :)

In most of the country the fish would starve during the day if music kept them from eating. From the day they came out of their eggs they've had to listen to the music from ski boats buzzing over their heads. For me, as long as I'm playing Metal or 90's Gangsta Rap the fish will bite.