Diesel cars

flyforfish21

What's up everybody?

I'm going to be car shopping here real soon, and am very much looking into Diesel cars (not trucks). Anyone have an experience with them?

I like the TDI series VW's and the new Chevy Cruze diesel looks interesting. Not really looking into BMW's or Audis as much.

I know a few people with them that have over 400K miles, and one person with over 500K. So looking for something to last a long time. I'm pretty good about being on top of Engine maintenance and what not.

Just want to put some feelers out there, and see what everyone has had experience with. we've got a budget of right around $15k, maybe a little more with my truck as a trade in. Could even possibly get $15k down and finance the rest if the payments are good enough.

Love to hear anyones input, will take all opinions/advice into consideration. Thanks for your time!

Geoff

Diesels are more expensive to buy,the fuel is more expensive,and maintenance is more expensive.

You'd have to drive it a lot more miles than a gas vehicle to offset those cost by slightly better fuel mileage. Hundreds of thousands of miles and decades of service are never a given with any vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Cannot go wrong with any VW tdi. As long as you maintain your engine correctly they are close to bulletproof. I've driven a cruze diesel as well, they seem a little more luxurious than the VW tdi's but I'm not an american made car type of guy.

Hi Geoff,

Is there a particular reason why you are looking into diesel sedans? There are a lot of unleaded sedans on the market with the capability of reaching 300k-400k miles and will cost less during their life cycle than a diesel would. If costs isn't an issue, I recommend a tdi passat.

Hey guys, just saw the replies.

Right now, I'm thinking Subaru Outback. I know it isn't diesel.

I'm looking at the wagons, especially AWD models, suits the lifestyle we lead and has room for the dogs in the back.

@Jamesofthejungle, Have a few friends who have diesels, my cousin's buddy in OK has one with 550K on it.

Honestly the way I drive (low miles), I think the benefits of diesel wouldn't really fit our needs.

Thanks for all the help. Still on the hunt, but have to wait until I figure out the job situation first.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...