Flurocarbon and swimbaits

charlie.m.jr

I made the switch to mono recently. After using 50# braid and having cast offs on some big baits, it was time for the switch.

I now use :

50# PowerPro Braid / Moss Green or 50# Cabela's Braid / Moss Green on my smaller bait / topwater setup

25# Trilene Big Game on my 1-6oz setup

30# Trilene Big Game on my 2-8oz setup

I still can't throw them on mono. Lol. I like the sense of feel with flouro. The only thing I throw on mono is red eye shads. I have much better luck keeping a fish pinned with it versus anything else. I'll throw some top waters on mono too but mostly use braid for that too.  

anyone throwing stuff over 10 oz on fluoro? i know some japanese guys throw the mother on 25 lb fluoro, but that's just sketchy to me

I do all the time (seaguar abrazx) 25lb I have no problems at all , although I do retire often . Thats all I throw my mothers on . anything less then 8 oz i use 20 lb never have I had the line fail other then my own mess ups.

anyone throwing stuff over 10 oz on fluoro? i know some japanese guys throw the mother on 25 lb fluoro, but that's just sketchy to me

The fluorocarbon they use (Toray Super Hard Strong) is pretty thick. The 25lb is .465 mm thick, which has breaking strength of over 30 lbs, and the 30lb is .505 mm thick, which has breaking strength of 40 lbs. I hate when they label by pounds, it's just too inconsistent.

I do all the time (seaguar abrazx) 25lb I have no problems at all , although I do retire often . Thats all I throw my mothers on . anything less then 8 oz i use 20 lb never have I had the line fail other then my own mess ups.

what knot are you using?