The Beast! Glide Bait

MattyIce

Sup Guys,

Looking for feed back good and bad. Help me make this bait better!!!

I was asked to make a glide bait that is big REALLY BIG for some of my buddies that fish nor cal.  The one i have made has gone through about 8 months of R+D. I have not made the final prototype yet but the ones i have made so far are caching nice fish at clear lake and the delta. The problem is i have such a small sample size i need your help to perfect this bait. I have molded and altered this bait 4 times. The vids are the first one I made straight from the last/4th mold. I have made some slight alterations for the 5th and final but I thought i would ask for your help before I do it.

What do you want in a big glide bait? I would love feed back on what you think a big glide bait should do and what you feel are KEY fish attracting factors. Do I need scales and fins? would you prefer a door hinge style bait like mickey? Any and all opinions welcomed. 

My bait is 12 inches long.

It weighs slightly under 8.5 oz

Sink rate is about 1 foot every 5 seconds with slight nose down

ad581fd3-bebb-43a6-bf07-aab2b34c5166.jpg

http://vid306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/vvakiravv/lures/FDA44E23-A6E6-4F8A-B57B-AB1443FF307A.mp4

http://vid306.photobucket.com/albums/nn266/vvakiravv/lures/87A90055-3E08-4A1F-A2E6-6615F03AFDC1.mp4

I thought this post was about the Pizz Beast bluegill bait

I thought the same thing at first. May want to adjust the name if that's what you had planned on calling it.

If you have seen pics, the 316 glide coming out doesn't use the door hinge. That should tell you something about it's effectiveness in a glide bait.

Sink rate seems to be in line with a tuned 250, just make sure the bait stays down and doesn't track up on the retrieve.

The bait on the left is a badass color. Really dig that. I dont think scales are necessary at all unless it's something like the Flash Carp scales (reflective tape) or Hinkle which serve a purpose other than aesthetics for the fisherman.

Definitely a cool looking bait and bigger than a lot of stuff out there. Nice work.

The glide is sweet but that rof sounds like the bait would rise up thru the column on the retrieve and wake.. Does it?

No. I don't know if you had a chance to watch the vids i linked. In the second you can see even on a fast retrieve it stays sub surface. It will rise a little if you use a faster retrieve on long casts that you let sink but if you fish these like Butch they stay down. 

I thought this post was about the Pizz Beast bluegill bait

Wow good call. I never saw pizz had that bait. I will tell my buddy that coined it the beast he was too slow lol! 

I thought the same thing at first. May want to adjust the name if that's what you had planned on calling it.

If you have seen pics, the 316 glide coming out doesn't use the door hinge. That should tell you something about it's effectiveness in a glide bait.

Sink rate seems to be in line with a tuned 250, just make sure the bait stays down and doesn't track up on the retrieve.

The bait on the left is a badass color. Really dig that. I dont think scales are necessary at all unless it's something like the Flash Carp scales (reflective tape) or Hinkle which serve a purpose other than aesthetics for the fisherman.

Definitely a cool looking bait and bigger than a lot of stuff out there. Nice work.

Thank you for giving some great feedback! I am going to counter a few things so we can hopefully get more discussion on this but i really appreciate you giving your insight!

Mickey is my idol and I'm sure he has done lots of research. His baits are my inspiration and i hope to one day have a tenth of his talent. That said a door hinge works on a glide bait I have a few prototypes that I still use with one. The problem is a door style hinge isn't as effective...that the gap and fluidity of the joint makes a difference in how prominent the glide action will be. You can make the bait have a tighter S action by tightening the gap or make it more pronounced by widening it. Thus, with traditional styles you can fine tune the baits but a door hinge you cannot so I'm sure this was a factor in Mickey's decision process. Its just not as effective IMHO

Thats part of my question. I think fisherman want some of these things like the door hinge joint and scales. even if it would drive costs up and make an inferior bait.

Personally I do not like the Deps 250. I think it sinks way to fast and the action or side to side movement is not that good. Im trying to improve upon it. Bill Siemantel (Big Bass Zone, p 217) speaks of “fall rate†in discussing swimbaits that drop the through the water column more slowly, and as he puts it, “The longer it takes for a swimbait to the hit the bottom in a given water depth, the slower you can retrieve the lure without fouling or snagging it.† This was my mindset when designing my bait.

Please counter what i have said or give opinions... Banter is always good as long as its constructive!

Also is there a way to edit the title of this topic?

Edited by MattyIce

The thing the 250 REALLY has going for it is the adjustability with weights and the ease in which the average Joe can now make it perform at different levels in the water column. Butch does some more advanced stuff to tune them than most guys do but you get the idea. When you add in the silent movement, it's worked out to be a great combo.

There are quite a few guys that like to fish the 250 at a quick pace or, like me, are too impatient to let it sink deep and keep it there for the majority of the cast. So that little higher ROF does have a benefit in some applications.

That being said, I also like a slow ROF that allows me to "stall" a bait and dart it if I have a fish following. I'd have to disagree that the 250's side to side movement is lacking. That thing puts me in a trance when it's doing its thing.

I have yet to watch the vids, filters at work blocking it. I'll check them out when I can. I'll say again, that left pattern is freaking awesome.

The thing the 250 REALLY has going for it is the adjustability with weights and the ease in which the average Joe can now make it perform at different levels in the water column. Butch does some more advanced stuff to tune them than most guys do but you get the idea. When you add in the silent movement, it's worked out to be a great combo.

There are quite a few guys that like to fish the 250 at a quick pace or, like me, are too impatient to let it sink deep and keep it there for the majority of the cast. So that little higher ROF does have a benefit in some applications.

That being said, I also like a slow ROF that allows me to "stall" a bait and dart it if I have a fish following. I'd have to disagree that the 250's side to side movement is lacking. That thing puts me in a trance when it's doing its thing.

I have yet to watch the vids, filters at work blocking it. I'll check them out when I can. I'll say again, that left pattern is freaking awesome.

Speadbead,

Thanks for your comments and insight. You have given me some ideas i really have to think about. Im in a rut since i fish the delta and clearlake mostly and I do not need a higher sink rate. Plus if I need it to fall a little faster I just put a clamshell on the hook. Thats my redneck adjustable weight system! LOL!!! 

haha I appreciate the kind comments! That pattern is my hitch. Those baits are not cleared in that picture yet and don't have the tail they look better now that they are completed.

I hate to just solely compare it to the 250 but honestly I think, with good reason, it's considered top dog in the big glide category so that's really why I keep mentioning it.

I hear ya on the redneck weighting, been there multiple times and you're right, it works!

The videos look good too. I tend to fish them a little quicker than that and so far I've seen fish react better with more head throw to the bait, if that makes sense.

Just kinda throwing stuff out there as I think of it.

I think I know what you mean by head throw. And you fish faster than the 2nd video? Your a savage!!! 

My feelings are;

The Deps 250 has a tighter action and will do almost a 180 on a "kill". It doesn't "Glide" as much per say.  My bait on a kill will "Glide" off to the side more of a 90* - 110* angle. It has a huge wide sweeping side to side action. The "Head Throw" would be attributed to the tighter more violent side to side action on a Deps. This is because of many factors that I'm not going to get into but brings up a good point. What action catches more fish and is more sought after? 

I can tighten up the action and make the adjustments but the prototype i had like that weighed a little over 9oz. I thought it was a little too heavy myself and I liked the wide glide of the bait in the videos. 

I have never held a Hinkle, Kincannon or Hiroshima but I guess I just kind of figured they were more of a subtle wide glide type of bait. I could be way off but i didn't think they had a lot of head throw....Again I don't have any of these baits i was just assuming from what i could find online. And i know what they say when people assume!

I appreciate the comments and I hope that more people will speak up on this... Help me out here fellas!!! 

I'm a little different in that I'm fishing fast like that for muskies a lot of times. I still fish it in spurts faster than the second video though for green fish. ;)

I do like how your bait glides out on the pause. I'll also say that I didnt really fall in love with any glide bait until I saw it in person, so I may not be picking up the subtleties of your bait from the video alone.

From the top, the bait looks "rounder" in the head area than other glides. That was my initial thought as to why the throw maybe didnt seem as pronounced to me. Maybe it's pushing water where some of the others are cutting water? I'm no bait maker, that's for sure man. I've said it a million times, I just fish. LOL, I let the guys will the skills come up with baits.

Edited by SPEEDBEAD

From the video the bait has a nice motion on a straight swim at slow to medium speed and will continue to glide on a pause. The market has filled up with glide baits and most can make a bait with a decent mostly forward moving glide. Yours excels where it's smoother than most with the swim motion on a medium retrieve. On a big bait that's a plus. I am sure it would catch fish fished that way. Where glides start to separate themselves from the rest in catching fish is when the bait can do more than just glide with a mostly forward motion. Moving out wide after a sharp turn and / or being able to make quick erratic movements and speed changes while looking somewhat natural. There is a reason the Deps works. It's because is has a fluid swim on the retrieve but by changing the retrieve you can do so many different things with it. It will turn in place, it will glide out wide, it will burn back as fast as you can reel it etc. That's more of what I am looking for when I buy baits. I look for baits with unique actions that aren't just like something already made where I can mix up the retrieve more. As far as appearance type of joint etc. it's all secondary to the swim motion, how the bait casts etc.