Driving Me Batty

Keeper_seeker

I've been fishing a lot at night over the last couple of weeks, and am having a really random, strange issue. Bats (those winged spawns of Satan), are attacking my line. The first couple times it happened I thought I was getting hit, I swung both times and there was nothing behind it. The third time it happened I turned on my headlamp (which I hate doing) and caught the little bastard in action. I reeled in my line to where it had attacked and there were actual nicks in my flouro. It happened multiple times, even after I had moved to another location on the lake. Has anyone else ever had this issue? and if so, any pointers in keeping these things at bay. This spot is kind of my honey hole, so fishing somewhere else is not an option at this point.    

I'm not sure if the baits you're fishing will allow for it, but maybe try keeping the rod tip low and the line laid down on the water. I used to fish a place with lots of bats, and with exception of maybe one or two occasions I never had any bat-to-line contact.

unfortunately I need to keep the rod tip up due to the reeds lining the majority of the shoreline. I think I might try switching to smaller # test, would hate to lose lure or a lunker because my line is too small though. I fished this lake at night last year with lighter tackle(10-15 lb flouro) all the time and never had this issue. Maybe its just one crazy renegade bat, haha who knows. I appreciate the tip though.

At night, I mostly have to look out for owls trying to eat my wake baits.

I've been there a couple times - it catches me off guard and scares the piss out of me every time. As for the bats, I've never had them attack my line, but I have that them chase baits while they're in the air during a cast.

I night fish a pond a bit & hate bats. Same problem you're havimg & have even had one land on my rod tip. I was in a different state of mind and thought it was weeds till I tried to fling em off. Bout jumped out of the boat & ran across the lake like a toon!!!! Hate bats!

I've dealt with bats attacking my line before. I actually accidentally caught one once because my line got wrapped around its neck when it attacked. It was dead by the time I reeled it in. Good thing because I didn't want to mess with it....no idea how to avoid them though.

Haha and I thought I was a weirdo because every F-ing time I fish at night this happens to me.. It's got something to do with their radar type navigation and sight, your line is let's say the diameter of a mosquito but they can't tell how long it is so essentially your line is a bug to them I did a little research on this after a night where I couldn't getaway from them there was like 10 just strafing my line one after the next it was almost comical until I felt my line

i would think just use a heavy braid just for peace of mind (atleast you wont have to worry about losing any swimbaits)

X2, I go with braid at night. A couple years ago, pitch black, I was tossing a huge top water lure & about half way in I thought I had some weeds stuck on my line. I gave a few flicks of the rod tip, and, realized it was a bat when it came off. The little bastard flopped his wings on the water all the way to within two feet of shore. That's when the toilet flushed under him, that particular bat didn't hit my line anymore after that....Holy Bass Batman !!!