NEW to the swimbaitin thing...PLEASE HELP..LOOK!

SwimbaitinJ

Ive got a IROD SWIMBAIT JR. PAIRED WITH ABU GARCIA BEAST. Its loaded with 20lb invisx fluro. Im mainly throwing the jackall gantarel and the megabass islide. I dont wanna go over 2 1/2 ounces of weight as I broke my necks months ago and lost my left side completely and now getting it back but Im definately not as strong as I was and waiting for nerves to comeback. Metal plate in neck etc.etc. Was trying to keep my setup as light as possible so I can throw it for few hours . I would like opionions on using a snap or no snap to attach bait? Also I would like to know a good hud bait for me to be able to handle ? And any other hot baits right now from 1-2 1/2 oz. ? Also on my glide baits i like the 7:1 ratio . Could i get away with just slow turning handle for hudds? I am one of the most slowest methodical fisherman there is so yhe slow turning handle i can handle . Please help

Get a hudd 68, should be in the weight you are looking for. Snap or no snap is totally personal preference. I use them on my hudds, others dont. The guy who got me into swim baits used a snap on his huds and he is one of the best big bites out there so I kept with it. As for the reel, as long as you feel comfortable slowing down to keep it at that speed you should be good.

Snaps are good if you only have the one rod and want to try several different baits. Especially if you only have a couple hours to fish. It's pretty easy to tell if it effects the action if you already know how it looks and feels tied direct. I'm a fan of the Hudd 68. The JR Swim will toss the 8" Savage Gear line through with ease when you start to feel better. 

I personally like owner split rings opposed to snaps, but if you do use snaps I see most recommend Decoy egg snaps.

For hudd baits, as stated above the 68's would be good and maybe the new hudd gill if you can get one.

As far as "hot baits" be careful not to get caught on the hype train for any specific bait, as you may end up spending more than necessary. Just check the Got 'Em section on here and you can see a trend on what baits catch a lot of fish.

The only other thing I may recommend is getting a wake bait of some sort like a slammer, baby wake,  or some rat bait.

That should cover each water column for you.

I don't like snaps but if I do use one, it's the Tactical Anglers snap. 

Other baits in your size range to consider are a 7" Slammer, S-waver, Rising Son (I love the top hook), Hudd 68 Special, 3:16 FS Shad, Baby Wake and a seven or eight inch Triple Trout.

Edited by Top Ramen

ok ....THANKS ALOT for the feeback n responses! ima def look into those baits . Also will be buying a rod n reel for the bigger baits soon as im gonna push myself to build my strength back up. Was thinking about getting a Shimano Cardiff 300 with either okuma big bait rod?or pair it with Irod Large swimbait?

SwimbaitinJ  Welcom to the B.N.C Broken neck club. I broke mine in the Army. My ? is have you found a baitcster  that rarely birdnests on you I still can't feel both my thumbs so it's hard to even learn how  when I'm always picking line. Any sugestions?

BTW -- start out with just a FEW baits that cover the basic categories (wake bait, soft bait, glide, etc) and learn those baits before you start buying more. It's easy to get carried away and start getting too many baits without learning the ones you have. All of the baits listed so far are proven, so if you aren't catching fish on them, you need to figure them out, not get more baits.

Tight lines.

My go to is my abu garcia revo beast its got good mags for braking and large knobs for my hands to feel better and make it easier for me to reel. I thought Id have to use spinning gear this year but i forced myself to flip in the backyard with 1/2 ounce working up to ounce building muscle back and tryin get nerves to continue to wake up n come back. Ive been trying to stay away from big round reels right now

7" slammer

G2 shellcracker

5" punkers

S waver 168

Savage glide 6"

Real prey gill

Real prey 6.5" Shad/alewife

Mini slammer

Spro rat

Sure there's more, but that's what I think of off the top of my head

As far as the reel goes, you can always go slower on higher ratio reel with less effort than to go faster on slow ratio reel