Dobyns 867 questions?

Bigbassassassin13

i have a few questions about the Dobyns 867. First how good is the rod overall? And second has anyone had problems with the guides popping out because I've heard about this problem a lot with their Swimbait rods? I'm looking to get a rod that holds 5-14+ ounces. Also has anyone used the mattlures 8'-8' 10" swimbait rods because I saw one on eBay and was wondering if they are any good.

post-23512-0-53535000-1429145519_thumb.jpg

hard to tell but this is after 20 mins of use (and lost a brand new slide swimmer) so yes they have problems with there guides , I think this is a Quality control issue, this is what happens when companys start really selling big numbers they start to over look Quality for quantity (just like deps is doing with there slideswimmers now)

Good rod overall. Threw 250 sized baits really well. A little too light for mothers or the deadtwitch. The 14 oz rating is not accurate, probably more like 8 or 10 oz max. I did blow out three guides when my line snapped while breaking off a snag. Took it in to Gary and they fixed it for free.

This rod's rating is drastically over stated; one of my favorite rods for sure, and I have never had any guide problems, but I think it's better suited for the likes of a full size Triple Trout... anything more starts to overpower it.  To each their own 

Since I cant edit post for what ever reason heres another, I will say that my 807 dobyns has been good to me and I love it for hudds (im not afraid to max out my rods) I throw 250's all day for months on the 807 no problems at all but I will say if you are a guy that worrys about breaking your rod because of overloading then dont .

Edited by JeremyW

Great rod for baits up to SS250 size. The range of baits it can handle is very impressive, from two oz or so up to eight oz. It's the most versatile swimbait rod I've ever used.

^ +1 I love this rod for 250's ,Matts Glide ,3:16 10" wakes it's really nice.

Just my experiences but tried both. Yes there are some with guide issues mainly the 867 and 908, however the folks at dobyns are not hesitant to help correct the error. If you're using up to a deps only then the 807 would be fine. It's also good if you're usually on boat. On the other hand, if you're a shore fisherman and need distance on cast then I'd opt for the 908. It's a bit more of a broomstick but you will still be able to cast a hardgill on 40lb test pretty far. What reel are you using? After some cast off on low profile style reel I only stick round reels with the engaged line guide (line guide moves side to side) when casting, for big baits. Have the low profile reels to smaller baits. Hope that helps

Edited by slideaction