what swimbait got you hooked into swimbaiting?

thastickybandit

The moment that caught me is the one in my avatar too. Saw the El Raton one day online and thought it was the coolest thing ever but when I saw how much it costs I decided to make one and that was all she wrote. Hook, line and swimbait.

Catch22-4-6RainbowTrout-340x200.jpg

CASTAIC Catch 22

Took 1 bite and was sold.  The fish destroyed the reel, and peeled drag like I have never seen or heard before.  Got schooled pretty quickly we had inadequate gear (rod, reel and line).

After that bite, my friends and I sold all of our conventional gear.

stocker_trout_10inch_side.jpg

stocker_trout_9inch_top.jpg

OG Stocker Trout

I know most of the "kids" on here are going "WTF is that thing"???

Well I guess I'm just old skool and been doing it since the early 2000s before your beloved Huddy was around this was the end all be all in BIG baits especially soft plastic ones. Thing has accounted for numerous DD toads all over SoCal, especially Casitas where it was designed and made by a local guy Rod Thigpen.  Now looking at it, it's almost like a soft glide bait in a way.

I'll never forget the day that I caught my very first swimmer fish EVER on the Stocker Trout. 

I was winding in like my 10th swimbait cast to date when I noticed a big shadow right behind the bait which was probably 6 feet from the boat at that time. I was literally about to pop the bait out of the water and she just straight pounced on it. Went just a hair under 8Lbs....Like 7-13 or something.

She came out of the Pudd.....Here she is.....

post-23255-0-79179700-1429910383_thumb.jpgpost-23255-0-50901800-1429910398_thumb.jpg

I wonder how big she is today....if shes even still swimming?

Tie: Old 6" Castaic boot tail in rainbow trout, and old Mattlures boot tail bluegill. Needed, rather wanted, something ultra realistic for some gin clear CO water. Sight fishing Tiger Musky, first cast with the Castaic, swam the bait right by her nose, and BAM! She(38"), and I were instantly hooked on swimbaits. That's after thousands of cast with "conventional" baits. Mattlures happened the same week, an old LMB stocked gravel pit. It was literally every cast, "fish on!".