Pacific Northwest Tiger Muskie

J_Carp313

Boy am I hooked on these toothy fish now!  I was able to actually land my first Tiger Musky on last wednesday from the bank, but was unable to get a picture.  I was throwing the 8 inch 3:16 rising son top hook in carp, and ended up having another smaller muskie short bite it and fallow it up to the bank.  The fact that I got that much action from these guys on the bank was awesome to me.  After that moment that is all I could really think about for the rest of the week, which can become a problem in college haha.  I called up my good buddy Tyler (WABASSER), and got him stoked on the idea of heading over to Eastern Wa with me to camp and fish for these guys this past weekend.  He also brought his little 12 foot boat to make things a lot easier.  We got there on friday night, set up camp and headed out to fish.  We covered a little bit of water before it got dark, then started to head in when I noticed a guy fishing from the bank.  He ended up hooking up with a Tiger on a tube bait, and he didn't even know what the fish was.  That got us even more jacked up!  We ended up going back to camp, cooking up some dinner and headed out to pound the bank in the dark.  We didn't get any action that night.  The next morning we got up and were on the water around 8:30.  I was still throwing the rising son and Tyler was throwing the same bait, just the bottom hook version.  Right off the bat I got a big follower, that just wouldn't commit.  This really got my heart pumping.  We went and fished the same cove that I caught my first muskie out of on wednesday with no luck.  as we left the cove we noticed a large L shaped rock point that had a good drop off on all sides.  We pounded the point with our swimbaits until we got to the end of the point.  I took a long cast out past the end of the point, and start to retrieve my bait.  I was running it right under the surface of the water, and as soon as it was coming to the end of the point I saw a huge splash out of the corner of my eye.  Sure enough I was hooked up with a Muskie on the swimbait.  I was able to land the fish, and as soon as it was in the net I was literally shaking with excitement!  We took some pictures and let the beautiful fish go to live another day.  We kept grinding for the rest of the day without a lot of action.  I ended up losing a smaller one on a jerk bait while bass fishing, but other then that we had a few small followers. We headed back to camp to get an earlier start the next day.

On Sunday we got on the water at around 7:00 and fished the same route as the day before.  Sure enough when we got to the same point that I caught my fish off of Tyler started fishing it from another angle.  I was fishing in a different direction and I heard Tyler say "Dude, dude, I got a fall... IT TOOK IT!!!"  He was fishing the 3:16 blue gill that day.  Without hesitation I dropped my rod and grabbed the net.  I had already lost a fish for him due to getting to the net slow this year, and I wasn't gonna let that happen on his first Tiger Muskie.  We got the fish in the net, and Tyler yells "Dude you're rod!" I looked over and my rod was in the water with only the tip sticking out! Luckily I was able to get my rod and continue fishing.  We kept working to a new area of the lake and found some nice bass, but they just had no interest in the swimbait.  We continued fishing until we were just getting to when we had to head in, and sure enough, Tyler casted to a point and hooked up wit another Tiger Muskie!  This one was a little smaller, but still a Muskie!  All in all it was great trip other that having to hear about how he caught two and I only caught one, but that's fine because mine was bigger;)  The 3:16 soft baits hold up surprisingly well to these toothy fish.  I would just recommend keeping some mend it or 3:16 glue with you!