New Deps 250 tuning/weighting

JohnMarino

I've been tinkering around with mine a bit. I started with 5 g of lead tape and felt it was too heavy. I remove the taped and then took 3g of tungsten putty and removed the front weight and packed the putty around the sides and then slipped the weight back in. It still rises here and there but I'm going to experiment with putting the weight in other places of the bait. I use ST-36 1/0s though. Hopefully in a few days I'll have it dialed in.

It's all about balance. Majority of times I fish shallow waters like the delta and Clearlake so I don't want a moderate sink rate I want it slow. I shaved off a little of the rear weight and added lead to the nose until I achieved a slight nose down fall. This of course with owner 2/0 upgrades. I forget the weight but mine came in at 181 gr I think. That bait is on the bottom of berryessa so I can't confirm. I have another new 250 I can play with on my days off if u guys want. I just haven't had the urge since some of the custom glides out there are better imho.

How about the New SK conversions? What are you guys doin w them to get a good even balance? I weighted mine same overall weight as my og glide and its ass would sink/glided like isht. Cut down a dropshot weight for lip slot and got it even, but its too heavy for me... Need to take weight out of rear section or...??

I used the weight out of one of my Bull shooter 190, Fits perfect. I'm going to test it today and see how it swims. 

Monster tackle also sells those lip weights for 4 bucks

This is a great idea...I'm trying nail weights right now. Still have to test the swim.

• 3 weeks later...

So I got the deps lip weight, fits great and is super easy to glue in. I used the same Magic Eye 2/0 hooks and #5 owner hyper wire split rings that John listed. All I can say is wow, the swim after I did these changes is unreal. Doesn't nose up one bit and I will probably shave off a little material from the lip weight as it really sinks now. It is still responsive to snaps and glides great, I'd try the weight if you're looking to add some weight.

post-22842-0-10268500-1460653076_thumb.jpeg

So I got the deps lip weight, fits great and is super easy to glue in. I used the same Magic Eye 2/0 hooks and #5 owner hyper wire split rings that John listed. All I can say is wow, the swim after I did these changes is unreal. Doesn't nose up one bit and I will probably shave off a little material from the lip weight as it really sinks now. It is still responsive to snaps and glides great, I'd try the weight if you're looking to add some weight.

Nice! Glad to see people trying it, it works very well. Every bait is different and will need minor adjustments/tweaking. If you dont want to cut the weight, You can also use 2/0 Gamakatsu Round Bend Bronze they are lighter wire, weigh lighter and give great action as-well but are 1x strong. I really like the magic eyes, but every bait is different. Sometimes diff. hooks will help even out the lip weight. 

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to mention after fishing this bait for a while, to keep it simple; I find myself using more of the 2/0 Magic Eye Gamakatsu Trebles, Weighs nicely and sticks fish good and dont come off hook has a longer shank which is nice, i used to double split rings on owners to hang lower, a 3/16 oz dropshot weight in the nose and owner #5 split rings are ideal. If you dont have any split rings the stocks will do you just fine or even the Spro Hyper wires.