Quantum EXO 300 PT Initial Review

midnightbite

I was in the market for a 300 size reel and just felt like mixing it up a little bit and trying something new.  I've been a Daiwa guy for the most part, primarily b/c of the magnetic brake system that's easy to adjust.  I wouldn't consider myself the world's greatest caster, so braking system is important to me.

I've never been super happy with any Shimano reel that I've owned.  They've all been "ok" but not great for me. 

So after looking around at the different brands, the Quantum EXO 300 PT surfaced as the only other option that would fit the bill for big swimbaits. 

I was able to pick one up new on ebay for just $165.  They retail for $200+ at most stores.  Pictured below. 

After about 4 trips, I feel good about giving this thing a big thumbs up.  I'm actually in love with it.  For starters, it weighs in at half the weight of a Lexa 300 or Curado 300.  That's significantly less weight, which is an important criteria for me.  Feels awesome on my LDC Production XH. 

Casting:  Smooth as silk ... great distance and super quiet.  I'm putting the 8" Hudd and the Deps 250 way out there with it and I'm not having backlash issues at all.  The reel has a pretty cool internal braking mechanism that's easy to adjust on the fly, click-by-click for accuracy. 

I picked up the 5:1 ratio, which comes with both a standard and power handle.  All the specs in terms of line capacity and drag strength are equal-to or greater-than that of the Lexa or Curado. 

At this point, the only thing I can't speak to is durability.  If I end up having durability issues, I'll come back here and update the thread. 

All things equal, this is a great swimbait reel and I highly recommend it. 

-Dax

post-18506-0-17452500-1430869679_thumb.jpg

post-18506-0-62088900-1430869702_thumb.jpg

quantum has stepped up a lot in the last few years and is listening to what people want. 

I know the NE sales rep personally and hes in direct contact with people/shops/customers/tourney guys and gives the feedback to quantum, the results show in their new reels. 

the iron got some serious r&d out here in the salt for stripers, blues, albies and ground fish. 

their smoke spinning reel sare insane, have a couple for light tackle saltwater and cant say enough about em. 

good customer service too 

That Exo is next on my list. I got the Iron PT 300 in a trade and wasn't expecting too much from it. But it will blast an 8" Hudd rof 5 about 40-45 yards for me. As stated above, it is a heavy reel at 10.4 oz., but very similar to the Curado 300E and Lexa 300. So, I have been looking hard at that Exo 300, as well-especially since it is just 7.5 oz. and still has brass gears. Pretty impressive IMO.

Thanks for the replies guys.  It's good to hear more positive feedback on Quantum in general.  I'll say that I'm happy enough with this EXO 300 for them to convert me over into a Quantum loyalist.  As of now, if I need another swimbait reel, I'm buying another EXO with a higher speed gear ratio, and if I need another spinning or small baitcast reel, I'm looking at the Smoke series first and foremost.   I learned how to fish as a 3 year old with a Zebco 202, so why not get back to my roots with the Quantums? 

• 2 weeks later...

have you caught large fish on it? A decrease in weight generally means an increase in plastic in the frame. This could cause flexing under stress, I see it in the cheaper Shimano Caenan reels. Just curious about your experience with it so far as I am looking for a lighter 300 type series reel that doesn't weight 10+oz.

• 4 weeks later...

have you caught large fish on it? A decrease in weight generally means an increase in plastic in the frame. This could cause flexing under stress, I see it in the cheaper Shimano Caenan reels. Just curious about your experience with it so far as I am looking for a lighter 300 type series reel that doesn't weight 10+oz.

Hey CJ ... afraid I haven't caught a big fish on it yet, but I did recently see an episode of Lindner's Fishing Edge where they were catching tiger muskee with them.  According to Quantum, the exo frame is aluminum, not plastic. 

One drawback of this reel that I've recently realized while fishing it side-by-side with my Lexa 300 PWR is that the standard reel handle it comes with is too short.  Not enough leverage while winding, so I'm going to try the power handle it comes with to see if that helps and if not, will look into an aftermarket handle for it. 

-Dax

• 9 months later...

I've had mine for about a year I throw a 250 with it , it's held up so far. It's definitely worth 99$

Also quantum has great customer service , I lost a side plate off a exo 100 ,in the lake and they

Replaced the whole reel at no charge.

Edited by Wdh