Butch Brown and 20lb Fluorocarbon

DaveM

I have always thought everyone uses to heavy a line for the baits they throw. Originally I used heavier line when baits were new to me and I was "scared" now I am not even worried about it. I have thrown a 250 or similar baits on 17# CXX and I will throw the 175's on 12 or 10#. The line that is generally used for swimbaits is thicker then normal and super strong. I have even toyed around with throwing a 250 on 15# Tatsu. I would probably always use Tatsu for everything but Its so expensive and cutting off a few feet here and there can add up quick. With standard bass lures I am not so worried about the last bits of my line like I am with high dollar baits.

havent casted anything off since i switched to cxx.  i love myself some fluoro, just not when i'm fishing a 10 oz bait that cost as much as my car insurance for the year.  if you've got the skills and the confidence to go with fluoro, by all means, it is unmatched in many ways.

Clarification;

I pay for my line just like you because its what I use and believe in, I pay for my deps just like you only a (little cheeper) but I do get check from deps ha,ha, well earned, I pay for my rods just like you, I pay for my reels just like you and everything else just like you no discounts. I AM OWNED BY NO BUDDY! I fish hard, don't care about prices only catching big bass.  Once i find something that works and its proven to me I don't run to the next latest and greatest lol been there done that, "I look into the future". I don't listen to guys that say I use this or that, I dream it, I live it, I breath it, I understand it and I Do it. I've done my homework to share for all to see on video!  I thank each and every one of you that "Do care" because i put thousands and thousands and thousands of hours swimbaiting on the water to put something proven and documented out there with No BULL to give you that edge or short cut (via internet) to catch the biggest bass of your life or get you in the right direction, as for the Talkers, me or the ones that listen will just catch the fish you can't get to bite.

All i was saying was you can grab onto a 250 easier than the rest of us can. I never said you don't buy your gear, and especially wasnt saying you dont deserve what you have or you can't catch fish. Just saying guys dont specifically have to use your same gear and baits to catch fish, and even if they do it doesnt catch the fish for them. I think guys get too hyped over what someone else is using over what they know

I love fishing fluoro and messed around with the 20lb Abrazx and the 250 for a little while. I love fishing baits on that stuff it's crazy sensitive and you can really feel out what the bait is doing and light taps easy. But that being said it's expensive and I was always tripping about casting a bait off I knew I couldn't replace so I switched back to heavier fluoro and mono. But like nadinesmom was saying if you have the skills and the balls go for it haha

havent casted anything off since i switched to cxx.  i love myself some fluoro, just not when i'm fishing a 10 oz bait that cost as much as my car insurance for the year.  if you've got the skills and the confidence to go with fluoro, by all means, it is unmatched in many ways.

Very well put, I firmly believe that that 20 lb flouro will out fish 25 lb mono every day of the week. However, if we all fished 20 lb flouro and Butch fished 25 lb mono, we'd still get out fished.

Your line is one piece of a very big puzzle. Always remember why your out there, for fun! Don't worry too much about what everyone else is doing and just enjoy your time on the water. Do the best you can while still living within your means.

I use 20lb abrazx not because butch does but because its what works best for the bait and thats a ................ I look at it like this if your worried about losing your bait so much that you need to throw it on rope then maybe you should pick back up your 3in senko, to me this is about catching the biggest fish in any body water I fish no matter the amount of money it cost me in losing slide swimmer and im not rich by any means . The reality is your gonna lose baits trust me im king of it , but I also will throw a bait where most wont and even sometimes knowing I will lose this swimbait if I dont hook up but still my passion for big fish drives me through the loss of a expensive swimbait .

Edited by JeremyW

There's something I've noticed a while back when I first started tossing the heavier swimbaits. The footlong section of line over your rod tip that takes the "Load Up" on the cast, frays up quite a bit when casting for a while. I make it a point to check this line section every twenty cast, or so, just to make sure there is no "Weak Link" between a cast off, or, fish of a lifetime. I'm currently using 25 LB Test Pline PF, and, like it alot. I do want to try some different lines at some point.  

I guess my theory is simple. If the master uses it and it's a proven technique with line/rod/reel etc and he has WAY more DD bass than any of us documented WHY you wouldn't want to use his ideas is beyond me.  

I would much rather get bites than worry about casting off a bait. Good thread going here.  :-P

OK... so if your throwing a slide swimmer around lay downs and fallen wood in water that isnt crystal clear and you are fishing it fast getting reaction bites then you should still only throw 20lb flouro? that makes absolutely no sense to me. I have never run into anything while fishing that has led me to believe that there is only one way to do things. "the master" fishes a certain body of water.. that has different conditions than others experience else where. I thought to be an effective fisherman you took a step back, analyzed the situation at hand and made an educated decision based on past experience on what would work best. Theres a technique i use that has a "master" and we even fish the same body of water. But in no way do we fish the same rod/line set up. And of course he has way more DDs or large fish than i have with the technique.. but he also has been at it years, gets to fish everyday so on and so fourth. I tried his way and really believed it was the only way. But since deviating and thinking on my own I have became far more effective, hook up to land ratio went way up, and I dont experience the shortfalls he pointed out I may have with the set up. By no means am i saying BB isnt right or what have you, just saying there's is only way to do things in this "sport" is a sure fire way of shooting yourself in the foot and not getting the results you are seeking. BTW, Ive caught some really big fish on tiny senkos ;)

Edited by Ceaser

When I'm fishing at lake Fork I don't feel comfortable with anything under 20lb test due to the heavy timber and large fish. 20 and 25lb Abrazx and mean green mono get the nod for me. Since the OP is in Florida, I'd think that you'd have the same issues but with heavy vegetation and big fish. I'd use 30lb if I could tie a decent knot on it and make a long enough cast.

so have I ceaser lol , and I agree with what you are saying . To me its what you as a angler have confidence in that will work best for you , and to me theres not a better line for many reason not just the lb rating . Im a braid fisherman for the most part and I have extreme confidence in it. ( i dont buy into the BS fish see it at all) ok maybe in Crystal clear water but even still it didnt stop me and my nephew from a 200+ weekend at lake havasu a while back and there where areas where i could see 45ft deep if the fish are active they will eat it (even a hot dog at times) and know it was not all on swimbaits lol i could only wish. There is a lake here in cali if you catch less then 50-100 fish you had a bad day and you can catch them on anything you throw

Edited by JeremyW

Butch does alot of things that the average weekend warrior doesn't do or maybe shouldn't do unless they are willing to spend much more time, energ, and money or have some tough learning experiences. He is pretty much a professional. He puts far more time in and has far more experience and skill than the average

It seems like he has put years into perfecting what he does. From his boat to his baits to his tackle everything seems to be fine tuned. I am willing to bet he spends almost as much time changing line, hooks, re-rigging/making baits and other such maintenance/tinkering as he does time on water.

I've tried some of the stuff he does. Lighter line, rigs etc. too much of a learning curve and time for me.

Fluoro or braid to fluoro leader works for me for all of my fishing, from dropshot to crankbaits to jigs and swimbaits. I like the less stretch and reduced visibility vs mono especially when trying to snap baits free from grass which happens a lot in most of the lakes I fish. The thinner diameter of fluoros and braids can also help your baits perform better or different. I fish 10lb fluoro in spring for banging/ripping around stumps and chunk rock with a ratltrap for big prespawn walleye and that line can take a beating and fluoro has proven to be the best in abrasion resistance. I use a lot of 15 and 20 lb for swimbaits and jigs. I like sunline sniper and abrazx. Like previously stated you just need to make sure to check your line and retie. I'm going to try fishing 60lb hollowace to a longer fluoro leader(20-30 feet) this year and see how that handles the bigger baits. It's all about what you feel comfortable with and what works to catch fish for you.There's always more than one way to catch a fish.

Edited by derds126