Baitsmith mag trailer rigs

JohnMarino

Curious to see how everyone is rigging their baitsmith mags, let's see what your trailer rig looks like! Include details of hook size.

this is how I do it I use 25lb pline crystal clear xxstrong line on both my reel and on the trailer with a owner st-36x 1/0 hook. It works for me, on my others I use 65 lb braid for the stinger but I like the mono better

post-22541-0-46031400-1432947018_thumb.jpg

I have mine rigged with 100 lb  TufLine braid, tied to the HOOK, and I bury about as far back as VCbass's pic, but I might go back further if need be.  It's a big bait around here, doesn't get bit well like the Hudd.

I rigged mine up with Seaguar 60# flouro leader material but I guess I would up that to 80# - 100# given the giant possibility in CA waters

Double Barrel sleeve in the middle with a 1/0 ST44 - could even get away with a sz1 on the ST44.

This rig was successful first time it got bit and the paper clip deployed with leader lifting away easily - no issues with rig placement looping over the jig hook. I rig all of my soft plastics the same way and it has never failed.

post-19124-0-54826100-1433259774_thumb.jpgpost-19124-0-56144200-1433259789_thumb.jpg

I rig mine very similar, 80lb fluoro around the hook with a quad. Only thing I do different that I haven't seen or heard mentioned here is I take a clear piece of small tube, cut it open and in half and put it over the hook to snug the 80lb fluoro down to the bait. Just paranoid that the fluoro will rub against the barb.

I'm liking the way quads look being rigged on the soft baits so I opted for that on the baitsmith with 60lb wire and a2 sleeves since I've already had it from butch brown rigging hudds.

Shown is similar rigs I've already rigged on my real preys with a 2/0 Gammy in the front and size 1 vmc in the back

As far as the baitsmith goes quad is a great book option, also 1/0 Gammy bronze round bend, and 1/0 vmc bronze round bend.

post-18998-0-08333000-1433364730_thumb.jpg

This Hudd has caught I don't know how many fish but still gets bit there's more glue in it then anything and even the front of the baits foam harness ripped and got filled with silicone, still going, it wouldn't hold a BB rig because there was hardly and soft plastic left on the top so, this rig worked on a beat up bait.

Would be a good idea for a Baitsmith rig, just cut the top jig hook off and drill the screw into the foam body, and use some braid fish Chris style rig and that would probably be the way to go quad with Senko o-ring into the screw, would never need any additional rigging that way.

post-18998-0-55192100-1433365053_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Never needed a trailer rig on a Hudd or Baitsmith. They smash it head first and the (true) BB rig keeps them hooked. 

I assume you mostly bottom bounce them? Ive never stuck a fish on the jig hook while working the middle water column, always caught on the jig hook.