Baitsmith mag trailer rigs

JohnMarino

• 1 year later...
On 10/12/2016 at 12:31 PM, SPEEDBEAD said:

Simple crimp.

I stinger hudds for muskies using 100lb fluoro, 4X gammy and Jinkai J sleeves.

Sorry for bringing this back up but trying to rig a baitsmith for the first time with quad hooks. Do you only put one of the hook point in the body and do you cut the hook point?

9 minutes ago, carlsbadbassin89 said:

Sorry for bringing this back up but trying to rig a baitsmith for the first time with quad hooks. Do you only put one of the hook point in the body and do you cut the hook point?

I use only one hook point going into the bait so 3 are exposed. More points out the better in my opinion. Also in my recent experience, i've had 11/12 bites come from tail biters but mainly belly biting fish. The bait has so many belly teeth marks...

5 minutes ago, Neill Hernandez said:

I use only one hook point going into the bait so 3 are exposed. More points out the better in my opinion. Also in my recent experience, i've had 11/12 bites come from tail biters but mainly belly biting fish. The bait has so many belly teeth marks...

Cool thanks. Do you cut the hook point off the one your having go into the body ?

1 minute ago, carlsbadbassin89 said:

Cool thanks. Do you cut the hook point off the one your having go into the body ?

No, i leave the hook put but i guess you could try to give it a good bend so it grabs well. But I've been using a automotive pin to hold it down and holy crap it holds the hook better than any other way I've ever seen. I'm at work so i can't show a picture but i'll gladly take one when i get home and show you. 

6 minutes ago, zsneezes said:

It looked like on @jcolo4sho's comment he didn't have any hooks into the bait, rather he used a paper clip to hold it in place.  Could be wrong but that's that Ive been doing with my burrito gill line through and it holds well.

Oh ok thanks haven’t even thought about that way...

5 minutes ago, Neill Hernandez said:

No, i leave the hook put but i guess you could try to give it a good bend so it grabs well. But I've been using a automotive pin to hold it down and holy crap it holds the hook better than any other way I've ever seen. I'm at work so i can't show a picture but i'll gladly take one when i get home and show you. 

Ok that would be cool. I appreciate it. It came rigged but the hook was way too big and it was way farther back on the tail than I want so I’m trying to redo the whole set up. After researching it, I think I’m gonna go with single strand steel wire no crimps just wraped around jig hook and put it right behind dorsal. Just didn’t know if I should cut a hook point off or use the clip like you are. 

2 minutes ago, carlsbadbassin89 said:

Oh ok thanks haven’t even thought about that way...

Ok that would be cool. I appreciate it. It came rigged but the hook was way too big and it was way farther back on the tail than I want so I’m trying to redo the whole set up. After researching it, I think I’m gonna go with single strand steel wire no crimps just wraped around jig hook and put it right behind dorsal. Just didn’t know if I should cut a hook point off or use the clip like you are. 

Single strand wire to me is way cleaner and works way better than crimps (Crimps you take a chance of error). I got my 7lb pb with the quad hook about 1 inch from the tail and i've lost many fish from belly biters. I think in different seasons they eat a mag style bait differently. I'll send you pics later. 

Here's how mine is rigged, I believe it's like 80lb single strand wire (havent re-rigged it since the first time) rigged to a quad with 1 barb going in the body and a cotter pin that's been cut short holding the hook down by the hooks eyelet. Theres a technique to using the cotter pin to hold the hook down strong

15325275322256436531962750290869.jpg

Quads sit pretty well on a bait without sticking any hooks into the skin. I bend and chop paper clips into a cotter pin-ish shape, it's allot cheaper and lighter than cotter pins and won't leave as big of holes in the bait. The less weight on the top of a bait, the better it will keel, and it won't want to roll or spiral on the fall.

I shape the paper clips into 2 styles, one is rounded at the top (like cotter pin) and used for securing the eye of the hook, whereas the other is squared and wider at the top. Make it just wide enough to fit over the back of the shank where the 4 hooks are still welded, this holds the hook in-line without the need to bury/waste one of your hook points. Without the second clip, the hook can rotate about the first and get kinda wonky after casting if a hook point grabs the bait

Edited by zanwhite

Another thing I've found is that with 80+ lb single-strand wire, the more twists the better. 2-3 might seem like enough, but I've had haywire twists come undone on 5 wraps. I try to use at least 7, its a little bulkier but once you get good at it you can make it really neat. Also lets you trim the end flush with the twist, instead of having to leave a longer tag to be safe

48 minutes ago, zanwhite said:

Quads sit pretty well on a bait without sticking any hooks into the skin. I bend and chop paper clips into a cotter pin-ish shape, it's allot cheaper and lighter than cotter pins and won't leave as big of holes in the bait. The less weight on the top of a bait, the better it will keel, and it won't want to roll or spiral on the fall.

I shape the paper clips into 2 styles, one is rounded at the top (like cotter pin) and used for securing the eye of the hook, whereas the other is squared and wider at the top. Make it just wide enough to fit over the back of the shank where the 4 hooks are still welded, this holds the hook in-line without the need to bury/waste one of your hook points. Without the second clip, the hook can rotate about the first and get kinda wonky after casting if a hook point grabs the bait

You don’t think just the one paper clip over the shank where the weld is is good enough? You need the one through the eye too?

You don’t think just the one paper clip over the shank where the weld is is good enough? You need the one through the eye too?

For me it's more about keeping the bait from ripping. I've tried it both ways, mostly with hudds at first, and found that with one clip you tend to tear a larger hole after a few fish or even just lots of casts. The 2 clips allows the back one to take pressure first from a bite, and then the front one takes force from the constant pulling of the wire when the bait bends on the cast/splash. Especially with wire, since it's so stiff, this can really pull on the single clip on a long cast. Mend-it works and all, but eventually it gets to where you're mending mend-it and it starts to develop a hard spot in the bait