Shasta Lake Ca

jcolo4sho

I'll be there the weekend of the 3rd-6th. Never been. Will be staying on a house boat and wanted to see if anyone was going to be there that weekend and wanted to meet up and throw swim baits. I was thinking about renting a boat for one of the days. If you have a boat. I'm down to pitch on Gas. Food. Beer. Etc. or any suggestions on the fishing there would be awesome. Hit me up. Thanks.

Shasta in July, one thing you can count on its gonna be hot. Summer time on Shasta is all about topwaters and spinnerbaits. Focus on long tapering points. depending on boat traffic and water clarity, the mud lines that form off those points can produce some good fish. specially if the mud line blows out over deep clean water. even if the mudline is out in 100' of water, nowhere near the point, fish will relate to the mud line. Morning and night the fish can be surprisingly shallow long as there isn't to much mud in the water. 7" slammers wake jr. and baby wake are all money on that lake. if water clarity is low of if its choppy you can really work them hard.
Is been a few years since I ve been there in july. sometime late summer the water clarity gets pretty bad, If I remember correctly it happens a little later. Closer to the main body the clarity is usualy a little better.
big spinnerbaits get bit and produce some better fish. I haven't done it but I know guys pound them on A-rigs.
6-7" boot tails can be good too.
Where is house boat. do you know what area of the lake you plan on fishing?

Great info man. Much appreciated. I heard the water is really low and is supposed to be even lower in July unfortunately. I have no idea where we will end up in regards to the houseboat. I've only been to Shasta once and it was about 10 years ago and I didn't fish. I plan to bring a few different baits. I'm going to try and track down a 7" slammer. Or bring a 9" along with maybe some A-rigs etc. Thanks.

That lake is too much fun. You will have a blast on the houseboat. I was waken up one morning to boiling fish in the cove we were in.

True that, houseboat capitol of the world. dinks all day long, cough cough I mean  fish hard for that one bite cough cough.

Shasta is the place to be a kid again.

Was in Redding  today for Dr. appointment and it was 103 at noon.

Edited by SethB

I am from Southern Oregon, so have done the houseboat thing a few times, always a blast.  I did not fish back then though, so this will be my first time fishing there.  I have heard that its a quantities lake for sure.  I am looking forward to catching some spots as I have never before.  I am now living in Phx, Az, so 103 is not a problem at all, LOL, thanks for the info guys and for anyone that will be there that weekend, hit me up.  We will be with a bunch of tail and have beers for days. 

• 1 month later...