On Lake Fork. Confused as, well, you know what...

Shiryu

So we've been on Fork since daylight. We picked our creek arm and the cove we wanted to start in off the topo maps in my buddy's fish finder. Pull up and Bam! Fish breaking all over the pocket. Good fish too. I'd honestly say we saw 20-30 fish five pounds or over come completely out of the water and probably 6-8 of em were 7+. This has gone on all day. I personally saw a fish I think was over 8 as late as 12:15. We finally left the creek arm at 1:15 with em still breaking. And yet I've managed one 3lb fish on a popper and my buddy hooked a small one on a medium crank but lost it. What gives? If there fish were coming up like that at home we'd of killed em. We threw everything we had at em here and nada. They shouldn't even be breaking. There's clouds but they're low and scattered and they haven't covered the sun a single time today. Is this just a big water deal we don't know about? They wouldn't bite the Punker, the 3:16 FS Gill SS or Floater, the Baby Wake, the 178 F or SS, 6" TT, Shellcracker g2, or my Beast Jr. I even threw a double swim fluke rig for a while. I'm all outta ideas. Am I just going about this all wrong?

I'm sure y'all are right about what they were eating, but let me ask you this. A lot of the big fish we saw were coming up and doing a full breach 2ft+ in the air, laying over sideways, and crashing back down. And some of the rest were coming 1/2/3-4 of the way out and turning over with a violent tail slap. Is an 8lb fish really doing its best Great White impersonation over some 1" minnows?

think of it like when a whale breaches the suraface for micro plankton etc.. they not just eating one fry, they swim in hudge bait balls so to the same effect the bass rush towards the fry open there large mouth and eat many at once , this is why i say a bama rig so it looks like a tight fry ball to the bass in creasing your chance of getting bit , when there keyed in on fry

Edited by JeremyW

works for me , try and use the smallest bama rig u can find to I like to call it finesse style. i like the wires of the rig to be no more then 4 inches and ill leave the middle one just a tad longer

Edited by JeremyW

Ha! It's just hard to imagine having to finesse fish that were acting like that, but I'll waltz those suckers all the way 'cross Texas if that's what it takes. Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated.

Time for the Ichthyologist to chime in. It sounds more like they are trying to clear gill flukes and Bass do not breech like Whales to feed. Next time you catch 1 check the gills for black or brown spots and red lesions on the gills.  And filter feeding Whales do not feed on micro plankton the bulk of there diet is Krill.  

Edited by Baitmonkey

Time for the Ichthyologist to chime in. It sounds more like they are trying to clear gill flukes and Bass do not breech like Whales to feed. Next time you catch 1 check the gills for black or brown spots and red lesions on the gills. And filter feeding Whales do not feed on micro plankton the bulk of there diet is Krill.

you might want to do more research whale do eat many different forms of plankton , i didnt mean 'micro'i ment macroplankton and yes they eat it . I was not saying a bass is a whale lol i was just putting it in a way he may understand micro plankton is what coral reef eats I know this . also bass absolutely will come out the water for fish (umm whats top water)

Edited by JeremyW

Some were breaching like the great whites off the coast of South Africa feeding on seals. Coming straight up out of the water and either doing a 180 and going back in or laying over on their side and crashing back down. I'll bow to your expertise if you say that's not feeding behavior. I assumed it was but I'm certainly no authority. Some of em were definitely feed coming up to the top and making a huge commotion but not breaching clear of the water.

At the end of the day its just my and his opinion all you can do is try what i say or what he says if it helps great if not so be it , Im not one of those guys that gets all my research from the web I get my knowledge from actually being on the water I fish a minimum of 40hrs a week so you make the choice .hey maybe im just one hell of a lucky guy and i just stumble on fish everytime out hey you never know.

Im starting to fully understand why I was warned to stay away from here (and fully understand why big names have left)

Edited by JeremyW