Line choice conundrum!

michaelcronje

I’ve got a bit of a problem deciding what line to spool on my Abu Garcia Revo Toro Winch 50. I’m going to use the same reel for swimbaits and rats. I’ve been told 20lb flouro is the way to go for the swimbaits, and 50lb braid or 18lb mono for the rats. What do I do?

Just my opinion, but I've had a lot of luck switching all my reels to 60 or 80 lb braid and then just using a Crazy Alberto knot to joint a 6-7' leader of mono or fluoro depending on the presentation. That way, I can keep the same main line on all the reels and just switch leaders depending on the baits I plan on using. Or use the straight braid for rats/frogs/flipping tight.

Matt Allen from Tactical Bassin' has a YouTube video on the topic that's pretty good. Easy to find if you search YouTube for Matt Allen Braided Line.

I've had no trouble with this in terms of leaders failing, knots failing. Disclaimer there is I don't fish many baits over 4oz, so I don't have experience with the magnum baits.  And I've found that even though I fish in crystal clear water here in NH, as long as I have a 6' mono or fluoro leader, the fish don't mind at all that the rest of the line is braid.

Simplifies things for me and I buy way less line, because I can keep the braid on a reel forever without worrying about it.

Why not just try them both out, you got a good starting point of what 2 lines you think you'd like. Try them both out and see what you like best.

Top end braids and fluoros are rather pricey. Out of my league to just experiment with I'm afraid.

id say try both and give them both a good trial run see what works best for your style of fishing , im a braid guy with leader for the most part the only time you will find me fishing stright seaguar abrazx fluorocarbon 20lb is when i fish slide swimmers (but it can be a expensive choice ) i respool it every 30-40hrs . I for one cant stand any mono but I do fish with guys that use it and love it its just not for me

Edited by JeremyW

Also, what do you guys recommend for topwaters like the lurker punkers? I too am a fan of 25lb pline pf, but that has way to much stretch to get the right action on a long cast with a punker... So either braid or flouro?

I use braid on all topwater baits, if I can.

But seriously, just get an extra spool and swap it out when you want to change line. I do this with my Lexas.

Edited by Top Ramen