Baby steps

John Day

Well been throwing a Slammer for awhile and feel like I need to broaden my knowledge of the big bait scene.

I have read through the newb topics and I'm not asking what baits to start with. Just looking for guidence on what direction would be best in your opinions. Some of you had to of started with a wakebait. Do I go glide bait, Hudd, of what? I'm located in central Wa. I have both 795 Dobyns and would like to stay in that bait range.

Not sure if you if regular baits prior to swimbaits.

If you did they to match similar swimbaits to Bait you liked to fish.

Jig/pig or worms = soft plastics like a hudd or rising sun

Crank baits = crank down baits and freestyles

Jerkbait = glides

Top water = plunkers or wake baits

Welcome to the sickness.

Add a soft bait, either a 6.5" Rising Son (my favorite in the summer) or a Hudd 68
For a starter glide, it's hard to beat the S-Waver but you could spend a bit more and get a Deps Slide Swimmer 175
For a jointed bait, go with a basic, proven choice like an 8" Triple Trout or a Freestyle Shad.

All of these can be thrown on a 795.

you need to acquire a bait that has natural fish catching ability and will help you gain confidence and it'll be all up hill from there (downhill for your bank account)  try 6" triple trout or 6" hudd or things like matures soft gills those just flat out get bit 

good luck to you pal 

Thanks for the input guys. Alot of sound advice I have not heard yet and it is great. Sounds like a 6 or a 68 and a rising son are my next direction that I will focus on. What is the deepest you have fished a hudd? Typical summer pattern here are relatively deep presentations. So a ROF12 I'm looking at a 15-50 second wait for the drop. Seems like a lot? Anyone checked the rate of fall on a rising son? Or is it a slow presentation type thing?

If you go topwater/wake I'd recommend some sort of rat bait. When you start throwing swimbaits you'll need a lot of patience and it helps if your throwing a bait that's generally fun to fish and there's nothing more fun than a rat, at least in my opinion anyway. It took me a while to land a fish but had several fish blow up on my rat and it helped build confidence in large baits.

Thanks for the input guys. Alot of sound advice I have not heard yet and it is great. Sounds like a 6 or a 68 and a rising son are my next direction that I will focus on. What is the deepest you have fished a hudd? Typical summer pattern here are relatively deep presentations. So a ROF12 I'm looking at a 15-50 second wait for the drop. Seems like a lot? Anyone checked the rate of fall on a rising son? Or is it a slow presentation type thing?

Don't be scared of going big. If you are going to fish deep get a ROF16 8-inch hudd.