Downtown LA Spots

justahnn

What's up SU,

I’m going up to LA this weekend for an event, and I figured I’d do some fishing out there since I’ve never fished the parks in downtown LA. Considering none of the parks are secret honey holes, I was hoping you guys could recommend which spots I should hit up. 

The event is right next to Echo Park, so I was thinking about going there. 

Just looking at the map, I see Hollywood reservoir, MacArthur Park Lake, and Silver Lake Reservoir. But one article I read said Silver lake doesn’t have any fish.. 

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks dudes.

-J

Look stay away from all of the above mentioned parks. MacArthur prob has the most bass out of all. A co worker of mine cought a 7lbs on a swim jig and I have seen 5 and 6z swimming around. The shitty part about that is that the park is located in a gang infested area. I have been wanting to fish it at night but dont want the trouble that goes along with it. Echo park was drained awhile ago. The PD recovered lots of guns that were tossed in the water..lol. If the gang members dont bother you the crack heads will. Save yourself the trouble bro unless you have protection of some sort.

I just conducted a recon mission at echo park. When they drained the park, the city only planted catfish , gills, and trout ( no bass). Locals would catch bass from other lakes and plant them in the lake. I saw a lots of fry and baby bass near the small dam area. The place has cleaned up some. If you really wanted to cast a line I suggest Echo park. Stay away from the rest.

Echo Park is holding some decent sized bass... MacArthur Park has some big ones, but parking sucks there. It's funny when people classify the area the way it's been described in previous posts. There's a lot of white folk in the neighborhood these days. So you know what that means... It's gotta be safe... right? Works for me tho. The less people that fish it, the better for the locals. If you don't bring attention to yourself, you'll be fine. You'll have more people approach you cuz you're throwing the big bait, rather than to shake you down. Like with fishing, you just gotta be smart and know your surroundings. 

Ck out legg lake. Its prop the one that holds the most decent size bass. As far as what I mentioned about MacArthur Park...well given the fact that I have work in the area for approx 15 years, I still strongly suggest to stay away regardless...hipsters and gang members enjoy the benefits of the lake.

Edited by mjaygrunt

• 3 months later...

I spent the first 40 yrs. of my life living in Pasadena and fished all locations mentioned. Ehco park lake at one time had a few good ones, the info on Silver lake is correct, McCarthur park....wow....wouldn't go there to fish, maybe to buy crack! Check out Peck resevoir, in San Gabriel valley, way back when I caught several fish between 6 and 8, long before there were any "swimbaits", they do plant trout there, so I believe theres a good shot at a good fish. 

I've fished almost all of them, problem is years back some kid broke a leg in one of those pits, and since then all of those rock quarries have guards...most 24hrs...but before then there were quite a few good ones. This was back in late 70's early 80's...I fished Peck on a regular basis up until 2005....still think there should be a few giants there, and you won't get thrown out!