Feelings on Flippers

BigSlant

Hey SU

Since im relatively new to this site ive been reading all sorts of threads dating back to '13 so far and will read till the end, some rich history in those past posts

One thing ive noticed trending hard lately is flippers... ive realized some of these guys probably don't even fish...the only posts they've ever made are for hard to find and rare baits for crazy amounts...its kind of sickening...

That being said im sure there are guys on here who buy a high priced bait and fish it and try to recover costs of that bait if its not what they were hoping for....some of the costs put an impossibility for a guy with a family to justify a 200$+ over retail knowing full well ill probably lose it...Im not a collector who shelves baits...that's cool if you are  but everything I buy will get fished...In my line of work if I marked up costs 200% I would have no work...Im just wondering when im gonna see the first $1000 HPH or Hinkle, if it hasn't happened yet its obviously coming as more of these baits fall into the depths

Curious to hear thoughts and to hear if there are reasonable bait flippers out there that are worth doing business with?

Thanks SU

Only time u will feel there are reasonable flippers worth doing business with is when u really want the bait they have and can't find it anywhere else u just lost yours and was on a good bite with the bait otherwise I would stay away I have bought baits from "flippers" that weren't exactly what they said such as the sink rate and swim but it's all relevant to your situation in my opinion they just need to get a job and not prey on people's pocket but like I said before if someone wants to pay it guess it will happen whether we like it or not until people stop paying rediculous prices I'm included in this tho I have dropped some money on baits I "needed" to have and saw them 200-300 dollars cheaper two weeks later all a part of the swimbaits game whether we like it or not especially when it comes to handmade baits. Supply and demand!

Only time u will feel there are reasonable flippers worth doing business with is when u really want the bait they have and can't find it anywhere else u just lost yours and was on a good bite with the bait otherwise I would stay away I have bought baits from "flippers" that weren't exactly what they said such as the sink rate and swim but it's all relevant to your situation in my opinion they just need to get a job and not prey on people's pocket but like I said before if someone wants to pay it guess it will happen whether we like it or not until people stop paying rediculous prices I'm included in this tho I have dropped some money on baits I "needed" to have and saw them 200-300 dollars cheaper two weeks later all a part of the swimbaits game whether we like it or not especially when it comes to handmade baits. Supply and demand!

That has got to be the longest sentence I have ever come across.  Great comment though.  

EBay's one thing...But to come on here and buy a bait from a fellow member then flip it days later for a substantial mark up is not cool in my book...If you look at most of the flippers, all their posts are in the Black Market and nowhere else...

ultimately, if people would just stop paying the ridiculous prices then the market would go down. that won't ever happen though cause theres always one guy trying to either make a dollar or can't let the "deal" pass him by... personally I always let a bait go for less than what I paid. and usually for a good deal at that because I know what its like when you're dying to fish a bait and can't afford it. it just sucks because I know from personal experience what its like not being able to drop 200+ on a bait when its literally all you want. I'm all for fishing it, and as far as I'm concerned if your buying a bait from me to fish it I'll hook you up just to pass the bait along and let someone else experience it. thats just me though. hopefully one day people will understand that if they just held off on buying the baits the prices would HAVE TO drop. until then many baits remain out of my hands and out of the many others that can't afford to drop hundreds for a bait. 

Just look at people's post counts. If all their posts are in the black market and have contributed 0 to anything else there might be a problem haha. People are always going to take advantage of a situation. They usually end up on the losing side in the end

I think there's a difference between someone who sells a bait high and someone who flips. Sometimes the price is right and selling is a good way to go. Plenty of great guys here have sold hot baits for "ridiculous" prices because they needed cash. My head gasket blew and I needed money asap, better believe i milked those sales. Not a fan of actual flippers and there are a few active on this site, but nowadays its thrown around pretty loosely. Jon put a bait on ebay for a bidding price and it went to over $500 and people ripped on him for being a flipper. 

End of the day money is money, and if I need it desperately I'm selling my baits for what I think I can get for them. Can't drive to work and school on a Hinkle.

Meh, the buyers are just as guilty as the seller. Kind of reminds me of the dope game, if there is a buyer there will always be a seller.

I agree, you can't rape the willing.

That said, there are some people who seem to use SU as a way for them to flip baits/make $ and nothing else. Tackle Warehouse makes money off this site but also sponsors it. Maybe some of the guys who do nothing but sell baits here need to throw the site a few bucks (not likely I know)

That said, there are some people who seem to use SU as a way for them to flip baits/make $ and nothing else. Tackle Warehouse makes money off this site but also sponsors it. Maybe some of the guys who do nothing but sell baits here need to throw the site a few bucks (not likely I know)

But if they buy them from Japan, they're not flippers........they're "importers".......see the difference.......... me neither.