Feelings on Flippers

BigSlant

For someone to be a good flipper, there has to be someone willing to part with the money. Not particularly fond of the flippers asking exorbitant prices, but have no malice for someone making a few bucks off of a hot bait. A few years back when I jumped in with both feet, Nezumma rats were going well north of $200, some 3:16 baits were double retail plus on the black market. Demand drives the prices. The release of the baits were a secret and sold out in seconds. A BAA sold the other day for a awesome deal. I'm guilty of buying baits back then that were hard to get and paying stupid prices. I have gotten over the "Got to have it now" craze for the most part and usually hang on till I find what I'm looking for at a reasonable price.  One of our old members has a tag line, Flipping like pancakes till the next hottest bait come along; still rings true.

hopefully one day people will understand that if they just held off on buying the baits the prices would HAVE TO drop. until then many baits remain out of my hands and out of the many others that can't afford to drop hundreds for a bait. 

Great idea but I have to disagree. It's supply and demand, and with no demand there would not be a supply.  There won't even be a reason to create a supply rather than that of the personal use of a the craftsman making the bait.  Why would a dude make a bait for a stranger unless he stood to make a profit?  None of the greats make their baits for anyone to have a better life haha... Now to incorporate the flippers, how many additional people gain interest in a bait that goes for 2 to 10 times its retail price?  People assume it must be amazing and despite never even seeing it swim end up swarming in and paying top dollar, this may even be intensified by pics with that bait hanging out of the mouth of a toad.  This creates additional interest of other baitmakers to try and jump on the band wagon.  Without the above we would have very few glide baits and certainly those who got into the game in the later stages would not have ever thought to create such baits without knowing that there was a profit involved.  The work is driven by a hobby that is profitable, even if someone is passionate about it and it's thought of as an art... it's still sold because of profit.  The better the work the more hype, the more hype the greater the profit; however, and most importantly, the better the product.  I'm sure someone can shoot holes all threw this argument but it's just something I was thinking about after a few beers haha.  I guess I just feel like rich people drive R&D which results in better products or even products that would not have existed.  The day prices have to drop due to lack of interest is the day some truly great baits that have not yet seen production get thrown to the way side.  aww screw it... Death to the flipper!

Supply and demand I get...If these amazing bait artists want to keep making awesome and super effective

baits to continuously bring up an anglers PB and they want to charge 600$ for their skill I wouldn't like it but I'd totally get it...but for some viper to slither around and capitalize on this site (that is

supposed to be a community of people with similar passions) all day with no impact on

this genre other than being the super villain who scoops up all the rare and sought after baits is an

f'n douche bag...I haven't spent over a 100$ and have some pretty good baits that I see selling for close to double sometimes...I have my eye on a few that are pushing 200-250$ (and I get why) but when I buy one of those its going to be from someone in need of some cash or from someone who has fished it well and

wants to try something new...not saying that should be everyones pov but that's mine...thanks SU

I don't think you will find many guys here who begrudge the bait MAKER from making a profit on the product he creates. The issue is having the flippers make HUGE profits without putting in any work other than driving to the post office. The flipper's profits don't do anything to get better baits on the market. They are basically parasites.

Everyone has some good points. I think Wtrwsel said it the best. There where times I paid 3 times retail to get a bait I "wanted". There was also a time when I was paying $50 each for a Hudd 68 and I also sold baits at those prices. In most cases you have no idea what someone paid for a bait and some of you want them to sell it to you at retail when they paid 2 times retail.

This is part of life and happens every day. People flip cars, houses, etc....bottom line is that the person with the bait can do what ever they want. Post it here for 100K or stick it up his a$$. It is none of your business, just read the post say "wow" and move on.

All the "in" baits are going to be hard to get, use other baits, they catch fish as well. Last Sunday I was fishing for the third time scene I moved down here, on a lake I never fished. No hits on the big baits, so went to regular bass tackle. I got a 7lb 12oz. on a zoom worm that cost about 12 cents. I would have liked to get it on a swimbait but I was still as happy as a pig in sh$t.

I think there are some awesome deals on baits in the BM now a days and a lot of guys are helping each other out.

What I am not getting is why would anyone almost hope that someone lost there bait?

This is the buyers choice, no one is forcing them to buy the bait. They just want it at that time and will pay for it. I think the best we can do is hope they catch there PB with that bait and post up the pictures.

Just my $0.02

You mentioned that you are eyeing some baits but the flipping price is not what you are willing to spent. PM me a list of what you are looking for and maybe I can help.

Brian

Everyone has some good points. I think Wtrwsel said it the best. There where times I paid 3 times retail to get a bait I "wanted". There was also a time when I was paying $50 each for a Hudd 68 and I also sold baits at those prices. In most cases you have no idea what someone paid for a bait and some of you want them to sell it to you at retail when they paid 2 times retail.

This is part of life and happens every day. People flip cars, houses, etc....bottom line is that the person with the bait can do what ever they want. Post it here for 100K or stick it up his a$$. It is none of your business, just read the post say "wow" and move on.

All the "in" baits are going to be hard to get, use other baits, they catch fish as well. Last Sunday I was fishing for the third time scene I moved down here, on a lake I never fished. No hits on the big baits, so went to regular bass tackle. I got a 7lb 12oz. on a zoom worm that cost about 12 cents. I would have liked to get it on a swimbait but I was still as happy as a pig in sh$t.

I think there are some awesome deals on baits in the BM now a days and a lot of guys are helping each other out.

What I am not getting is why would anyone almost hope that someone lost there bait?

This is the buyers choice, no one is forcing them to buy the bait. They just want it at that time and will pay for it. I think the best we can do is hope they catch there PB with that bait and post up the pictures.

Just my $0.02

You mentioned that you are eyeing some baits but the flipping price is not what you are willing to spent. PM me a list of what you are looking for and maybe I can help.

Brian

Well said.

Definitely some constructive stuff on here, but it essentially all leads to one place: death, taxes and flippers; all of them are unavoidable. We just need to stop harping on it as a community.

Ultimately, complaining about flipping (trust me, I've had those thoughts myself) takes away well-deserved attention from the members on here who make INCREDIBLE contributions to SU. 

I'm from Long Island, New York. Very few people where I'm from fish freshwater, let alone throw big baits. I messed around with throwing big baits for a year and a half before I stumbled on this site. The information on SU and access to the BM completely blew me away, but it was the community and members that made it special. Within a week of joining the site, Scott (Fishing434) not only hooked me up with some awesome 3:16 and Mattlures baits (baits I never would have dreamed of owning), but gave me some awesome tips for fishing the baits and for navigating the BM.

I'm mentioning this story, because the incessant complaining and negativity re: flipping completely takes the spotlight off the good guys in this community and may even dissuade people from joining and contributing to SU in the first place.

Instead of the 400th forum about flipping, I would love to see somebody make a post about something like this: 

http://swimbaitunderground.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26423-wtb-pats-trout/

Seeing something like that pumps me up far more than a flipper could ever piss me off. Jon got hooked up, and he immediately reciprocated in a big way. And there are a ton of guys on here like Brian (bassbass) and Ralph (River_Pirate) who are constantly hooking guys up--including myself. The beautiful thing is that guys like Scott, Jon, Brian and Ralph are far more representative of what this place is about than a flipper or scammer could ever be. 

People flip baits, nothing will ever change that. Let's just get it over it and pump up the positives of this community.

Edited by lunkerglx10

Nobody is forced to buy anything. If you don't like a price then don't buy it. Simple. The bait well eventually be available for a reasonable price. We've seen it with countless Deps, 3:16, Huddleston etc. There are plenty of solid guys on here to outweigh the small percentage of bad. When that changes then I'll be worried.

I dont really think baitmakers have too many problems with flippers. It sucks but its unavoidable. retailers are flippers too if you look at it like that. Buy a bait from somewhere not directly from the guy who made it... its getting flipped. Mark up or profit margin to be determined by the reseller. I never hear people complaining about tacklewarehouse marking up the baits they get (i bet you wouldnt believe how high the markup % is) they have overhead.. yes, but everyone has bills to pay. Im not into flipping baits, but if someone wants to flip em, flip em i guess. just the way she goes. 

If I hear supply and demand one more time......

Supply and demand haha j/k man.  Actually, one of the guys who liked your post was kind enough (years ago) to help me add to my collection and give me some great advice along with a bait for around retail.   He could have went much higher and I appreciate him being a stand up dude and I'll always take the same approach; however, it's life man and that occurrence has been rare.  If you don't want it at that price don't buy it.  If you're hell bent on not getting taken by flippers then don't buy gasoline, popcorn, houses, cars, phones, cotton candy, beer, electricity, cigarettes, cable TV etc...  Actually you might as well not buy anything because these days if there is a situation to make $ someone is there to do it and due to demand someone is there to pay for it. Just a thought