Just a brief summary of options with the Rising Son

buttaluns

Havent done a review on a soft bait yet so here goes my little bit of input on it.

First thing is first, a great thing with the rising son is it has so many options. For example color. If you get on the website you can choose between 20 something different colors. Anything from a baby bass to a brown trout, the options you have with color should definatley fit the criteria of a bait fish in your local lake, pond, or resivoir.

The next great thing as far as options goes is size. At first getting into the game you hear 8" man thats way to big nothing will bite that, NO PROBLEM!, there is a 6.5" verison, which granted is only an inch and a half difference, but like with swimbaits its a mental thing. Get over the doubt that something can bite a lure that size and your on your way! Anyways, so like i said you have two options, 6.5" and 8", so if your not ready for the 8" go with the 6.5" just to gain some confidence.

Next, and this option is sweet, top or bottom hook. My first rising son was a bottom hook. Dont get me wrong, great bait, but sometimes it would not work in all the areas i would fish. Its hard at times to fish deep because here in Ohio we have alot of growth at the bottom that can get you hung up. So i was forced to change baits just so i could present the lure in its natural swim without having to worry about weeds hanging from it. If i wasnt worried about weeds though, this is a great bait for me from the middle of the water column and up. It can be slow rolled through the middle which will cause the bait to have a subtle wiggle in the body, with a great tail kick at the end. I also like to do a slow roll near the top then give it rips every once in awhile. The way the weight is set up toward the nose makes the bait dive toward the top when you jerk it. The forward momentum from the pull causes the bait to keep going up, instead of straight like a jerk bait. At times you can give it that quick jerk and the bait will almost jump out of the water, giving the bass the illusion that its running. I was always taught that bass feed best on bottom and on top because once a bass has a fish inbetween, the bait has no where to go, so keep that in mind if you have a follower that wont commit, give it a quick jerk near the top, and hopefully youll thank me later ;)

The other side is the top hook. With this bait you get the best of both worlds. The way its set up you can fish the bait with a bottom hook, or continue your line through the bait and have the hook up top (if you dont have a ton of money, get a top hook, you can experience the bottom hook method without having to buy both, sorry Mickey if i just took away some sales) Anyways if you do go with the top hook youll take the hook and then put one hook in the body cavity exposing the other two hooks. From here the options are kind of endless. This bait does everything the bottom hook does except you are able to literally fish it like a hudd on the bottom. Again, with the weight, the bait will stay on its belly and just sit. You can creep it, jerk it, twitch it, etc. Like i said the options are kind of endless here.

Anyways as the trojan man would say, "My job is done here!" Hopefully this gave just a quick insight to those who dont know much about the rising son and are thinking of trying it. And for those who do use it, i hope you will add to what i have started!

IMG_20110411_165356-1.jpg

Great review and very informative :D . One thing to add more emphasis on is the greatness of the top hook option. I live in South Jersey where the lakes are shallow and full of weeds and grass. I have thrown the bottom hook RS and had success, but it was coming back full of salad every time. That limited my use until the top hook was introduced to me. The top hook has allowed me to throw into the shallow grass and still be able to work the bait as intended instead of trying to burn the bait back to keep it out of the grass.

I have also noticed that working the rising son near the surface with a few jerks tossed up some water and really called the smallmouth for me. It really looked like fleeing bait fish and has been one of the top summer producers for me, especially when the water is choppy. The picture was taken in Canada on an annual early summer trip. The fish isn’t huge, but it was the start of a 10+ swimbait fish day. The smallmouths were hitting hard, especially on the swimbaits near the surface. The rising sun has proven to be very versatile and can be used to catch a multitude of species at different water columns.

SAM_0425.jpg

I haven't been fishing the rising son for too long, but I have had it produce for me, so here it goes:

The best thing about the rising son in my opinion is its versatility, the bait can be fished deep, or it can be worked to make it look like a fish hitting the surface, and everywhere in between. I have had hits in all areas of the water column: just below the surface, off the bottom, and just slow rolling it.

Durability: The bait I have caught fish on doesn't show any sign of it, no ripping, no tearing. Now that may just be the fish not hitting it and shredding it up, but I figure after the 10 or so hits I've had on it, that can't just be luck it's not getting torn up.

Action: I fell in love with the Rising Son the first time I saw it swim. The bait will not roll over. One thing about the rising son, and a lot of 3:16 softbaits for that matter, is that when they are falling to the bottom, the bait looks like it is swimming to the bottom, it doesn't just fall, it has action all throughout every cast.

The fish: I've only had one fish on this bait, but have had numerous follows, and hits. The fish I was able to get, was an estimated 5 pounds, it was at night (7:45-ish) bouncing the bait off the bottom. It was on a bluegill color, on saturday the 10th of this month.

This review was referring to the small, 6.5", rising son. In colors: Lavender bottom hook, Black top hook, White top hook, and Bluegill top hook.

Thanks to Micah for the nice review and picture. And thanks to Mickey for such a great bait.

The 6.5-inch Rising Son is by far my most productive bait of the season. My poor Freestyles rode the bench behind this affordable and versatile bait.

Unlike the previous posters, I prefer the bottom-hook model. This is because I prefer the slow sink rate of the bottom-hook model over the faster, nose-down sink rate of the top-hook version. This enticing slow sink can, unfortunately, be tough to handle if you're impatient like I am. However, the results speak for themselves. Cast it out, let it sink to the desired depth, and slow roll it back in. It's that easy.

While some of the other contributors have stated a problem with the bottom hook version being prone to snags or collecting grass/weeds, I can't say I've had too many issues. Sure, I've had to clean the treble on occasion and yes, I've had to free it from snags, but nothing that would cause headaches or frustration. I simply bury one point of the treble in the belly so that the split ring sits about 1/16 of an inch away from the line-thru opening.

The slow tail wag, while not as pronounced as the clacking of a hardbait's joints, certainly produces enough thump to call in fish from a distance as I've seen, not only followers, but fish that swim a long way to pounce this bait.

I would say color is whatever you prefer or whatever matches the forage in the body of water you're fishing. (Obviously) I keep it simple. American Shad is my choice 99% of the time. I'll switch to white if the water is considerably stained.

I've spoken to Ben (Echoed) and he has given me several additional rigging options, but it is not my place to go into detail. My point is, the bait works great straight out of the package, but you can certainly fine-tune/tweak it to better fit your needs.

On a side note, the LDC H is an absolute perfect match for the 6.5-inch Rising Son. (thanks, Ben)

I haven't caught any giants "yet", but I did lose something in June that still haunts me. Crushed it, doubled-over rod, two big headshakes and then nothing. She owned me.

Attached is a picture of a smallie that caught after listening to another fishman ask me if I was "trying to knock the fish out" by casting "that giant bait". He shook is head in disbelief when, on my third crushing hit, I finally hooked up with the little-mouthed bass.

If you're not fishing the Rising Son, you're missing out.

post-149-14252985530753_thumb.jpg

The Rising Son is one of my favorite baits. Whether you are just getting started with swimbaits, or a die hard this is a must have bait.

Action - The common retrieve with this is a straight grind. The bottom hook bait was meant to use in the upper column of the water, the top hook near or on the bottom. While this is definitely effective, I prefer to use this bait a little different then most. Pitching this bait into cover, letting it sink to the zone you want then give it a twitch just enough to get the tail to make a kick, then pause. Depending on how hard you twitch the bait and the position of your rod, it will rise slightly or stay at the same level. It's all in your hands. If your scared of getting a bait snagged, get over it.

Sink Rate - The bottom hook has a slower rate of fall then the top. With all my baits, I wan't to get just the right amount of fall for the situation I'm fishing. With the technique mentioned above I custom weight my bottom hook Rising Son with a 3/32 oz weight. This does two things. When the bait falls stock, the head falls first, with the weight it falls horizontally. The second thing it does is get the bait down in the zone a little quicker. The picture below shows where I insert the weight.

IMAG0092.jpg

Color - As stated above this bait comes in a wide variety of colors that allow you to match your local forage.

Durability - With plastic baits when you catch fish they will get torn up. This bait does a good job of remaining durable the main place that will need work is where you insert the hook. When you hook a fish this get's ripped out and it's best to stay ahead of tears with glue. I also like to glue the spots on my bait and some around the weight. Below is a picture of the proper way to rig the bottom hook rising son, notice the ring is flat to the bait. Also, I change the stock circle ring out for an oval ring. This allows me to tie easier without worrying about my line getting in the split, and takes a little more weight off the head, giving me the horizontal fall I want.

IMAG0093.jpg

Application - I have actually caught the most, and biggest fish with this in cold water. Below 60 degrees. It will definitely work and work well at other times of the year but for me its a killer when it's cold out.

cp1_cp1_2011-03-2095145830.jpg

I use the rising son differently than most. I actually prefer to use it as a search bait, where I can go back and target the fish with a more precise presentation.

An example : I fish a large pond that I frequently see schools of 3-5lb bass cruising around in. I prefer to throw the rising son on either 20 lb seagur abrazx or 20lb big game. I will throw the bait into a likely looking spot, and fish it fairly quickly compared to most other baits (Hudds, mission fish, etc). The fish will often follow and attack the bait, but do not hook up. This is likely due to the size of the fish and the way that they are hitting the bait. Once I locate the school, I will fish through them with a more precise presentation like creeping a Hudd or slowly working a wake Jr, babywake, or Mattlures hardgill.

I have not had a single hook up on the rising son, Idk why, but this tactic has proved quite effective for me, Ande even better with a partner (bait and switch).

Sorry for the choppy grammar, I'm writing this on a phone 8-)

The Rising Son will always be a special bait to me because it's the first swimbait i got bit on, you can read the story and see pics here: viewtopic.php?t=1398

I've had great luck with the RS all year long, always have at least one with me and don't recall a day throwing big baits where i didn't have one tied on. I only stuck 4 fish on it this year, but i had tons of follows that helped me to find where fish were and come back later and get them with something else. I also got my little brother on his first swimbait fish with it this year.

I prefer the bottom hook model (haven't had any luck with the top hook yet) and have not had near the trouble keeping free of weeds or snags with it that i thought i would. I really like how slow it falls and how slow you can reel it and still have great action.

As far as durability they're pretty solid, a little glue and a hot knife have kept all but the one i got stuck on a stump in my box and working well. The only issues i've had are with the eyes coming off and the tail getting bent out of shape when i'm pounding the bank on hot days... both of these are problems i've had with every soft swimbait i've got so i can't complain and the fish don't seem to mind biting an eyeless trout.

In my opinion this is the best bait under $25 and is a great starter/confidence lure for anyone. I'm really looking forward to seeing the weedless version mickey mentioned in the q&a thread he did a while back.

I have used both types of Rising Sons, both in the 6.5 inch size, but my favorite so far is the top hook, I will explain why first:

1) You can buy 2 of them for the price of one Huddleston( Obviously nothing wrong with the Huddlestons, but for people afraid of losing baits that are "expensive" or for people on a budget, this is a good bait).

2)Already rigged up for the top hook style, and while I am not sure if the Rising Son was the first bait to be sold like this or to have this already rigged for you, It is unnecessary to try to change the rigging on it, its good already. Just put your line through the tubes that are designated for this, and tie your hook on top, and youre all set(bury a barb in the bait if you want).

3) Has a treble on top instead of a single hook( the debate on single hook top hook baits verses treble hooked baits could go on for a long time, but if you like that, its got a treble, ok? :D ) And they come with a good Owner Hook.

I have had success slow rolling the top hook, bouncing it off rocks , and while the plastic baits do tear eventually, you can always use some glue to put it back together, and probably catch somewhere around 20-25 fish on one bait. No big fish, but a fun bait to fish and a good bait for the reasons mentioned above. GREAT night fishing bait. I had never brought any fish in on those types of baits(Ospreys, California Swimbabes, etc) until i used that bait, lost a couple good ones on the others though. A ton of good colors as mentioned above, and I know I will be purchasing more in the future, as well as getting better with the bottom hook bait. Gets bit good!

The 6.5" rising son is a bait that I have spent a lot of time throwing.

THE SET-UP-

I have been throwing the 6.5" bottom hook on an Evergreen Ballista which is a 7'4" medium powered medium action rod. I have used a wide range of reels including a Shimano Curado 200 E5, Shimano Calais, and a Cardiff 300. All of the reels worked flawlessly for the bait. As for line, I fish straight 50lb Power Pro Braid when I am night fishing, and 20lb flouro during the day(6.5").

As far as application, I have had the best luck fishing this bait during the warmer months(March-September). This being said, we have caught a good amount of fish on this bait in the dead cold days of winter. I would say 90% of the fish my friends and I have caught on this bait have been after 6pm. Its an unbelievable sub-surface night bait. this is because it draws fish from a distance due to its heavy vibrations.This bait has honestly become one of my go to baits at all times of the year. When the fishing gets tough, try this bait, you may be surprised at the outcome.

Here is a fish I caught on this bait on one of the coldest days of the year. Though it was only 5 pounds, to this day, it is the biggest fish we have caught out of that whole

Here is a fish that my friend Drew caught during one of the warmer days of August

These videos show the seasonal diversity of this bait. Its no 1 season special, it catches fish year round.

Notice both videos are on the Sissy colored bait. Both videos are using the same exact bait which brings me into durability. This bait can last 20+ fish. That sissy bait has caught us probably over 25 fish. I did have my first rising son break last year, but that was after around 20 fish. The longevity of this bait is pretty amazing. This is due, in part, because of the detaching hook which also increases landing percentages rather significantly. An eye may fall out, but as long as you have soft bait glue, it remains fishable for quite a while.

Appearance-

The colors are great. From beneath, the body is extremely lifelike. It has a generic sort of body allowing it to mimic a lot of different baitfish. There is a color for almost every application.

Action-

This is where this bait truly shines. It has, by far, the best action of any "flat-back" style softbait. The tail wags wider, and at slower speeds that any other bait of this style on the market. It creates strong vibrations and draws fish from a distance making this bait a great choice for murky water situations and night fishing. With a slow and steady retrieve, this guys tail will dance. Its pretty amazing.

The bottom hook is definitely an upper water column bait. It sinks roughly 1 ft every 3 seconds so I have had best luck fishing it in that 1-2ft zone. The top hook sinks much faster, around 1 foot a second. The top hook is not a bait that I fish too often, but it has produced a couple quality fish for me and is great for deeper applications when a fish wants a bait more erratic than a hudd.

Biggest fish that we have caught on this bait was from my friend Drew. This was late December, the fish swallowed it. This one went 7lbs.

post-112-1425298553103_thumb.jpg

All and all, definitely a must have bait for anybody across the country

And one other thing that I do with all of the 3:16 softbaits that utilize a treble hook:

Bend the barb down on the hook you want to insert so it doesn't rip up the plastic and Sharpie that one point so u know which is which

Now THAT'S a damn good idea :D

And one other thing that I do with all of the 3:16 softbaits that utilize a treble hook:

Bend the barb down on the hook you want to insert so it doesn't rip up the plastic and Sharpie that one point so u know which is which

Now THAT'S a damn good idea :D

I learned that while fishing the soft bluegill because I was running out of mend it.

Just pick up a jar of the 3:16 soft bait glue.